First Mead Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MimersMead

Reaction score
Hey all

I'm working on a Barkshack Gingermead, and I've had it in the secondary for about 6 weeks now. It's cleared beautifully, but i'm noticing that it's still bubbling slightly, like a Coke that's been sitting in the glass for a while.

I'm going to transfer it to another carboy, and allow it to age a bit more.. But as it's my first batch, is it better to age it in the carboy, or transfer it to bottles as soon as possible? I'm so worried about blowing the corks!

I haven't done a hydrometer reading since I transfered it to the secondary 6 weeks ago. I'm putting it off just because I don't want to risk contaminating the brew.

I hope I'm being smart about this!

I'm going to measure the SG tomorrow, after I pick up a Fermtech Thief. The hydrometer readings at pitch and upon transfer to secondary were bang on, I'm quite happy with it. I don't mind leaving it to age a bit longer either.

It's just so strange leaving something in the carboy so long, I'm used to beer clearing my carboy in 3 weeks. Looks like I need to buy a new carboy, this mead is killing my production schedule.

I've got my first mead in secondary now and I know what you mean about the production schedule. The benefit for me is that it got my wife on board with expanding the collection of fermenters in the house since she's a lot more excited about mead than beer (though she is generally on board with that, if not as excited).

Planning a cider "as soon as a fermenter opens up" has cleared the path to ordering another Better Bottle this week. So I'm definitely looking on the bright side here :)

Regarding your question on whether to age in bottles or bulk age in a carboy, it is generally accepted that you will have more consistent results from bulk aging it in one vessel as splitting it up can lead to small differences in flavor from bottle to bottle.

I really appreciate your thoughts on this, I don't personally know any mead makers so I'm basically just fuddling through this first batch.

I guess it can't hurt to just leave it alone in the carboy.

Well I dont know, but I've made the barshack ginger recipe 3 times, because it sounds wonderful.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong though because all 3 times its turned out bloody horrible. Far too dry, not ginger tasting enough, etc etc.....

And all my ageing is done in bulk.....

Pulled a hydrometer sample today, and wow does it have pucker power.

it's been in secondary for 6 weeks now... I guess time cures all right?

It looks so good, but it's like drinking rubbing alcohol that has rhubarb in it. So very tart. Boyfriend says it isn't horrible, but not great.

Pulled a hydrometer sample today, and wow does it have pucker power.

it's been in secondary for 6 weeks now... I guess time cures all right?

It looks so good, but it's like drinking rubbing alcohol that has rhubarb in it. So very tart. Boyfriend says it isn't horrible, but not great.
Haven't got the recipe to hand, but both any "alcohol hot" taste and possible fusels, have many variables - yeast type, honey type, gravity readings at various points, fermentation temp, etc etc.

If you're unfamiliar with drinking meads, its probably best to just get it cleared and ageing (whether in bulk or in bottles).

Drier meads can take a long time to mellow out i.e. years in some cases. Whereas if you want it sweet, then back sweetening, possibly with a little acid can mask some of the "young mead flaws"........

Haven't got the recipe to hand, but both any "alcohol hot" taste and possible fusels, have many variables - yeast type, honey type, gravity readings at various points, fermentation temp, etc etc.

If you're unfamiliar with drinking meads, its probably best to just get it cleared and ageing (whether in bulk or in bottles).

Drier meads can take a long time to mellow out i.e. years in some cases. Whereas if you want it sweet, then back sweetening, possibly with a little acid can mask some of the "young mead flaws"........

Thanks, I'm basically just letting it age in the secondary. it's beautifully clear, and I don't see any bubbles rising anymore. So now, we wait. In the meantime, I'll get another brew on.

Back