star san

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudester

Reaction score
I Keep a spray bottle of star san for quick sanitizing. Will the solutiion in the bottle keep for a period of time or should a make up a new bottle when the time comes.

If you use deionized water and clean everything really well before sanitizing, it should last a very long time.

Clorox makes a spray sanitizer that's supposedly pretty powerful but non-toxic. We keep a small bottle of it in the diaper bag for all the times our son threw his pacifier on the ground.

Beerrific said:
If you use deionized water and clean everything really well before sanitizing, it should last a very long time.

technically, RO water. however since I don't think you can de-ionize water full of minerals and a non-neutral pH, DI water has been RO filtered.

distilled would work in a pinch too.

my tap water is hard enough that star san starts off cloudy/hazy even though its still effective.

my next spray bottle (probably today actually) will be made with RO water so it keeps for a longer period.

also when it does go 'bad' you can add enough star san to get it back down to the correct 'effective pH' and its good again! so it really is economical.

I misspoke, I use distilled water. It is the metal ions that cause the star san to degrade. So RO, deionized or distilled should be good for this purpose.

I buy a gallon of distilled water from the store and add 6ml of star san to the jug. I have had some left for about a month that was still good.

And if you use de-ionized water for making up the solution, once its pH goes above 3.0, you can 'freshen' it by adding a bit more Star San concentrate until it goes back down below 3.0. As long as it is clear and below 3.0, it is still active.

Back