What do I have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I bottled 6 gallons of Brett beer, and followed that with 3 gallons of cider brewed with the same Brett yeast.

I siphoned the beer into the bottling bucket and bottled. Then siphoned the cider into the same bucket without cleaning (probably about 4 to 6 ozs of beer still in there), and then bottled the cider. I had dry hopped the beer (with pellets) and a few hop pieces were in the bottling bucket; they usually end up in the final bottle.

The Brett beer ended at 1.002.

The cider was apple juice (obviously) + 0.5 lbs Honey malt (mashed) + sugar to get to 1.060.

The Brett beer is great. Looks great in the bottle, pours great, and the one I had last night tasted great.

The cider has a film/ring on the top. I've brewed about 190 batches of beer and 20 batches of cider and never had anything like it. Every bottle of the cider has this on the top of the liquid.

I'm drinking one of the ciders right now (last bottle filled; has 3 flakes of the hops in it). Tastes fine. Not sure about the honey malt, seems to make it a little too sweet tasting for me although it finished at 0.996.

Any insight as to what could have caused this ring would be welcome.

the ring is from the wild yeast pellicle. ring is a sign of infection (which you did on purpose in this case).

you added sugar and bottle conditioned? then the wild yeast grew in the bottle, formed a pellicle on the surface of the liquid, fell to the bottom, left a ring.

the ring is from the wild yeast pellicle. ring is a sign of infection (which you did on purpose in this case).

you added sugar and bottle conditioned? then the wild yeast grew in the bottle, formed a pellicle on the surface of the liquid, fell to the bottom, left a ring.

Never happened before. It doesn't happen in my Brett beers. I've probably made half a dozen ciders using this same Brett strain, and not seen this before. Good thought though.

Back