Seeking a Group Buy Upstate NY/W.MA/etc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pernox

Reaction score
Last time I bought grain, it spoiled me; prices just a couple dollars per sack over the North Country Malt pricing... Unfortunately, the cats I got in with are either not doing it again, or all changed their email addresses.

I was thinking about making the 3.5hr drive to NCM in Champlain and load up the truck, but apparently they don't sell to homebrewers who haven't ordered from them before? My name wasn't on the sales slip, so I guess I'm SOL on that.

So, I'm looking to get in on a group buy if anyone knows of one in the upstate NY, Western MA, Connecticut, Vermont, South NH etc sort of region. I wouldn't mind traveling a couple hours (hell - I was willing to do 3.5hrs to go up to Champlain!) to pick up, but all the heavy hitters down in Jersey are too far off. ;)

Keep on the lookout for a buy based out of Staten Island if you are interested. I pretty much have the logistics all worked out with a member of my homebrew club who has a metal shop he's willing to offer as the delivery location. I'm just waiting now until after my kid is born before I take on the responsibility of organizing it.

We should be up and running in a little more than a month.

Thanks! Will keep that in mind if I haven't jumped on someone else's buy by then. With traffic, Staten Island is a good 5hr ride. :eek:

I'd be interested as well. Perhaps I will check with some of the local brew clubs to see if any group buys are planned for the future.

They only sell to homebrewers who are existing clients? did i read that right? I bought from them last year and didn't have a problem... did they say why?

Oh yeah... i'd get in for a few bags if you go.

and i could place the order if they really don't accept new customers

Okay - we're up to three folks.

sjlammer - turns out they bought a homebrew supply outfit, I'd imagine that's 90% of the impetus behind not selling to homebrewers directly - save existing accounts.

I'd be interested in getting at least one [55 pound] bag of 2 row (UK or Maris Otter) and possibly a couple pounds of hops if you're looking to get to a certain volume in the order.

I've read that you don't want to keep the grains (even whole) around for more than 6 months at a time. I might be able to eek out a little storage space in the basement, in a sealed container, if that will help it last for up to a year. If so, then I can see going in for two bags of 2 Row plus hops. Just means I'll need to either get a mill, or find someone who has one I can use from time to time...

Shoot me a PM if you're close to ordering, or when you're getting close to placing an order...

Back