How long does yeast last in fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwhc22

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So i finally have some time to brew today and I am planning on making a belgian abby ale. I purchased the hops and liquid yeast and what not like 2 weeks ago. WIll me yeast still be good after that long in the fridge? Or should i just buy some new yeast?...Hops should still be good I assume since they are in oxygen barrier foil packs. :confused:

The yeast should have a use-by date, but most yeasts are good for 6-8 months after that date.

homebrewer_99 said:
I've used liquid yeast with success that's been expired over 1 year.:D

No offense but I've gotta ask: 1) How did you manage to lose yeast in your fridge for a year? and 2)Was the yeast used as an experiment or desperation?

Just like HB99, I just popped a WY1335 that was a year old - 3 days at 70F and it had swelled somewhat, 1 more day at about 75F and it was tight - made a starter, bumped it, then bottled it into a sanitized pair of 22's for the next pale ale, then another batch after that. Got the yeast for free when the LHBS was cleaning out the fridge........along with a kolsch and a tube of WLP001...

Skol!

Latest posts

Back