I'm addicted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJDore

Reaction score
I'm here to admit I have a problem. I'm only three batches into this hobby and I can't stop thinking about it. I'm pouring through books by Papazian and others, I have Beersmith on my work laptop, I threaten friends to keep empty beer bottles, I'm researching kegging, I've already started thinking about Christmas beers...I'm hooked.

What started as a Brewers' Best kit with an Ale Pail, a 5 gal SS pot, and an extract brew kit has now grown to an additional 5 gallon SS pot, a better bottle carboy, a glass carboy, partial mash brews, and various other trinkets...oh, and the request for a Frigidaire compact refrig for Father's Day. :D

Everything I read in those books and on this site is true. There is nothing like the taste of a homebrew. I'll readily admit that I've always been a light beer guy. I try to stay in shape but I also love the taste of beer and wine so I have no choice but to choose my beer styles wisely. Yuengling Light, Sam Light, or Bud Light (sue me) have always been my mainstays. Occassionally I would branch out for a Fat Tire, Sierra Nevada Summer Lager, or an IPA. But I typically kept it light.

With that in mind, my first kit was an extract Cream Ale kit. The first time I tasted one after only 2 weeks of bottle conditioning I knew I would be hooked. When I started drinking them after 3 weeks and then 4 weeks I was in the bag. Now when at a restaurant or party without homebrew, it's all I can do to make myself drink BL. I don't even want it anymore. I'm ruined and I have you guys to thank/blame for it. :mug:

I bottled a partial mash IPA kit yesterday using revvy's wonderful tips on mounting the bottling wand right on the spicket of my bottling bucket. I have a partial mash version of Centennial Blonde in secondary right now, and I have the ingredients for Sterling Gold for my wife.

I'm addicted and there's no going back... Thanks guys/gals.

It can turn into quite a wonderful sickness. I started out with a simple brewing equipment package and an ingredients kit about 2 years ago, and bought my first 50lb sack of unmilled 2 row malt a couple of months ago.

Congrats and welcome to the madness when I brew I have delusions of having a successful microbrew and people come from all over to worship and enjoy my brew.....Its an amazing dream!

I also must admit to my (our) addiction. The hubby and I brewed our first ever extract batch, a Summit clone, on 4/29/10. We have since done a Honey Bee Ale, a Liberty Cream Ale, started some of EdWord's Apfelwine, and plan to brew Watknee's Cream Stout this weekend. We are so excited to taste all of our creations!

I drank my first homebrew about an hour before going out one night. Once we were out someone got a pitcher of Miller Light and it tasted like total dog piss.

I'm five months in and just finished building my mash tun to switch to ten gallon all grain batches. It is addictive.

Congrats and welcome to the madness when I brew I have delusions of having a successful microbrew and people come from all over to worship and enjoy my brew.....Its an amazing dream!

Wow! I have the same dream and I haven't even picked out a starter kit yet!

5 months in and around 20 batches done. Thinking about half barrel batches now. I have been working with all-grain from my third month in.

Welcome to the Greatest Hobby/addiction in the world!

I wonder how many new brewers do it this way? I started obsessing before I got my first kit, then within 3 months two keggles and all grain. Now it is all about the fermentation temp control. I sit at work going "did the temp spike" whenever I just pitched my yeast. I need a remote!

Good luck with your brewery build.

Brian

... someone got a pitcher of Miller Light and it tasted like total dog piss.

Same here. I am more of a wino than a beer drinker these days, but I used to go through BL like I was drinking my last. Then... my brother got me drinking an occasional micro brew and from that point on, I can't stand the taste of BL, ML etc. I have been brewing now since October of '09 and just installed my kegarator. So far wifey is tolerating my new habbit, but I have to keep an eye on the expenses or that will come crashing down on top of me.

I hear you all loud and clear. I'm on my sixth batch since I started up at the beginning of February. And l have a Trappist yeast starter ready for this weekends brew. I'm really envious of those of you who were able to jump right into AG after only a couple months. I've followed deathbrewers partial method with the grain bag, but am having trouble stepping up to a mash tun. I think I'll get a 10G cooler this weekend and get started. Thanks for the inspiration! Dream big my friends.

I went through two cooler before i decided just to get the round 10 gallon bev cooler. no problems with holding temps now. Going to try fly sparging next month when I pick up the false bottom.

Not sure which one i will like better.

Kegging in my opinion is where it is at. i only bottled 2 batches before i realized that it wasn't my cup of tea. Haven't looked back since.

I'm on my 20th batch in less than a year and am having a ton of fun with it. I just tasted my first lager. YUM!!!!!!

It doesn't stop either, I bought a 65 gallon stainless tank to use as a HLT, because, . . . . . . It was cheap and, . . . . I've been needing one?

Now when at a restaurant or party without homebrew, it's all I can do to make myself drink BL. I don't even want it anymore.

I'm right there with ya buddy. I used to drink BL or ML most of the time just because they were cheap and not filling. I never liked the taste but I usually just said "what the hell" and got one. I tried a BL a few weeks ago and I almost spat it out. It was seriously hard to stomach after drinking my own homebrew for just half a year.

Of course I had no such problems with my recent belgian and craft brew purchases!

I've loved to cook for about 10 years now, so of course I really enjoy brewing, which is cooking drinks :)

Making beer is by far one of the most enjoyable things that I have ever done. A person can never finish tweaking with a hobby like this.

I just started brewing and I am hooked as well. It is pretty much all I can think about. I now want to get more primaries to have several batches going at once. =)

same here. always thinking what's next, ept, beer, what technique to learn next...everything. this hobby is great because you can take it as far and technical as you want, or not...and still make great beer! my problem is i want to brew more then i can drink.

There will probably come a point where it stops being an obsession and settles down into a really good hobby. It did for me, but probably took ten years.

Back