Manifold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerme

Reaction score
Hi, looking to build a manifold for mash tun. Any suggestions on what size to drill holes into the copper pipe and length. I currently have some .5 inch on hand. I am using a 25 gal pot. Thanks

Palmer's howtobrew.com discusses manifold building in more detail than you can stand. Appendix D.

I am just finishing up building up a copper manifold, I did use Palmer's book as a reference. I went with 1/2" tubing and fittings and used a hack saw to cut the slots. I have a friend with a similar set up and it works great for continuous sparging or batch. Hope to try mine next weekend.

Pumbaa said:
I used a small cutting wheel on my Dremel and it worked great

I tried with a hacksaw (24T) and it was hard..switched to 32T and it was a bit easier - but I still wan't satisfied with the product.
I then borrowed a cheap version of a dremmel with the cut off wheels - it turned into a masterpiece of engineering for someone who was somewhat loaded at the time.

Cheers.

yeah with the Dremel it was fast and it was like cutting warm butter with a hot knife . . . only thing is the copper pipe did get war at times so i needed to have a brew waiting for it to cool off . . . not complaining just saying I was "well off" by the time I finished

I have been using a false bottom on my 10 gal rig with great efficiency. Now going to a 25 gal rig and looking for the best solution for my tun. What kind of efficiency are people getting with the manifold? Thanks for the earlier replies.

In Germany, is a stainless braid 'manifold' called "Lauter Hosen" ?

Anyways, I just brewed my first batch with a strainless braid. Simple mater to cold chisel the ends off- I couldn't find my tin snips. Plastic liner slid right out. Copper electric wire to crimp the far end, and hose clamp a piece of copper tube and a small rubber stopper made it fit my bottling bucket spigot internally. I used about a foot of copper tube with the far end bent 90 degrees, so it can't come loose while sparging. To install, slip the stopper up the tube a ways, slide the end into the spigot, lower the far end with the lauterhosen - the far end will butt against the far far side of the bucket, then slide the stopper down the tubing into the spigot. So I still have a virgin ice chest / mash tun.

I also just used a hacksaw to cut slits into mine. I just cut almost half way through every 3/8 of an inch. That's about every cm for you metric freaks ;).

Latest posts

Back