Took a trip to DFH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daver77

Reaction score
I know many of you have been there but just thought I'd share.
The tour was great I have never seen so much stainless steel in my life. They had countless fermenters and bright tanks. They had just installed a grain conditioner that wets the grains before going into the crusher. They had a lot of things going on. I wish I would have taken a picture of their wood aging tanks and the santo palo one as well.
here are some pics of the outside.
IMG_2926.jpg

IMG_2925.jpg

We also stopped by the restaurant and I gotta say, best burgers ever. I found out that the meat from the burgers come from cows that are in nearby dairy farms that eat lots of spent grains from DFH. Circle of life.

Notice the 2009 Barleywine, that was a treat, so was the 75 min IPA johnny Cask

IMG_2932.jpg

90 min IPA from this here randall!
IMG_2942.jpg

I wanna make one of these.

Yeah,I like that hop rocket rig. I'd like to try some of their other ales,as I've had the 60 & 90 minute IPA's,& they were good.

Ok, someone explain to me what the cylinder on the left is doing on that Randall rig.

I've been thinking about adding a Randall to my keezer, fitted with disconnects so I can switch it in when I get the urge. Thought I had a grip on what it would look like but that pic threw me a bit...

Cheers!

Ok, someone explain to me what the cylinder on the left is doing on that Randall rig.

I've been thinking about adding a Randall to my keezer, fitted with disconnects so I can switch it in when I get the urge. Thought I had a grip on what it would look like but that pic threw me a bit...

Cheers!

That second chamber was added to hold ice as the beer flows through it gets cooler in an effort to minimize over foaming

You just -had- to post what they had on tap, DIDN'T YOU?! :mad:

Sorry, I got home Sunday around 4pm took a shower and dove into the Chicory Stout I growlered the day before during lunch. It held up well and it was delicious!

IMG_2950.jpg

Nice pictures. Im lucky enough to live 40 mins or so from the brew pub and about an hour from the brewery. I have lived in the area for 6 years now and its amazing how much and how fast that place has grown. Met Sam on a number of occasions now and he is one incredibly nice guy. He talks to you about brewing like he is just some guy making brew in his garage. Good stuff.

I keep hearing about them growing...I know demand is bigger than supply, but if they're still growing, when are they going to bring their beers back to Indiana?!?! I was just getting into them and they had to stop distribution here...jerks.

No telling. But on top of the two major upgrades they've had since I moved here they just got a 50 acre parcel rezoned to expand even more.

SWMBO owns a condo on in Ocean City, MD so I get to hit the rehobeth brew pub every couple of weeks, but I've yet to get all the way out to the main facility.

Because our trips are always last minute "hey let's go to the beach for the weekend" the tours are always shown as completely booked.

I keep hearing about them growing...I know demand is bigger than supply, but if they're still growing, when are they going to bring their beers back to Indiana?!?! I was just getting into them and they had to stop distribution here...jerks.

The guy I talked to there told me that they had to pull some international distribution first, so they could distribute more in the states. Hopefully you'll be seeing the benefits of this as well as their upgrades.

I see myself going back and doing it again. Can't imagine what that place is like in the summer though, it was pretty packed now imagine in July:tank:

It is a cool place, when we lived in the DC area we made the B-O-R-I-N-G drive across the lovely state of Delaware to tour the brewery. I wish we had went over more than once.

On a more exciting note for me, I submitted my application to DFH last week for their SE Regional Sales Manager position... Not sure if I stand a chance but I'm hopeful I'll at least get a call-back, that would be a pretty sweet gig to have!

It is a cool place, when we lived in the DC area we made the B-O-R-I-N-G drive across the lovely state of Delaware to tour the brewery. I wish we had went over more than once.

On a more exciting note for me, I submitted my application to DFH last week for their SE Regional Sales Manager position... Not sure if I stand a chance but I'm hopeful I'll at least get a call-back, that would be a pretty sweet gig to have!

Good luck, I saw the opening and although I have experience working for a distributor, MGF / sales mgt, I'm not willing to do all that traveling. Either way great gig.

Good luck, I saw the opening and although I have experience working for a distributor, MGF / sales mgt, I'm not willing to do all that traveling. Either way great gig.

Thanks, and yes I'm going to need the luck! I work for in sales for a distributor now, however we're pretty far removed from the craft beer/beverage industry (I work for a scientific research product company). However, I feel pretty good about my chances of getting a call back based off of my cover letter, I was able to name-drop some pretty influential contacts I have with one of their major distributors here in Florida, as well as some executives with Publix Supermarkets that I'm pretty close with (one of them is my father-in-law :mug:).

Thanks, and yes I'm going to need the luck! I work for in sales for a distributor now, however we're pretty far removed from the craft beer/beverage industry (I work for a scientific research product company). However, I feel pretty good about my chances of getting a call back based off of my cover letter, I was able to name-drop some pretty influential contacts I have with one of their major distributors here in Florida, as well as some executives with Publix Supermarkets that I'm pretty close with (one of them is my father-in-law :mug:).

Go for it, seems like a great company to work for.

Do you work for a food distributor? I'm at Goya foods, Account Mgr

The guy I talked to there told me that they had to pull some international distribution first, so they could distribute more in the states. Hopefully you'll be seeing the benefits of this as well as their upgrades.

I hope that's the case, I would love to see DFH back on the shelves here. I know Indiana as a whole isn't the most cosmopolitan place for beer drinking, but there are still plenty of people who enjoy good beer in my area and NW Indiana. If they're distributing to the UK or anything like that and not to Indiana...I would have a serious problem with their business model, though.

Anyways, don't mean to be a grumpy gus, it's just something that's been bothering me for a while. Come back, Dogfish Head!

Back