My Oktoberfest is not hitting FG after 3 weeks in primary. HELP!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnheather125

Reaction score
My Oktoberfest is not hitting FG after 3 weeks in primary, should I repitch? I brewed this from a brewers German Oktoberfest kit. I dont have the equip to lager So i fermented this at around 68 deg. The kit instructions said it was fine to ferment at ale temps so I did. My OG was 1.052 took a reading today and is sitting at 1.020 after 3 weeks. Any suggestions????

Wait another week or so. I've had ferments take 3.5-4 weeks to get down to a stable FG. & lager yeast at ale temps sounds more like a steam beer to me.

did you use an ale yeast?

or did you use a lager yeast at ale temps?
how big was the yeast dump?

got a feeling its a lager yeast at ale temps.
maybe go out and grab some dry yeast to finish it off Safale 05
might want to wait for some advice from some lager guys who may have run into this issue before.

It was a lager yeast, but it said it would do fine at ale temps. I am getting the feeling I should not have bought that kit W/O the equip to lager

I guess to agitate it i would just give the carboy a good shake? if that failes to do anything repitch the brewferm lager yeast?

gentle shake or swirl with a large sanitized spoon - you don't want to introduce any more oxygen at this point

any idea how long the FG has been stable at 1.020? not uncommon for an extract beer to finish around there

at this point you are prob better off pitching a neutral ale yeast like us-05

Don't lose sleep over using a lager yeast at 68 degrees. I use ale/lager yeast blends in the mid 60's for cream ales.

If the recipe was made with mostly amber and/or Munich extract 1.020 doesn't really surprise me.

I would NOT stir, slosh or otherwise agitate and it's common for extract beers to be finished at 1.020. You definitely don't want to aerate this!

Since this is a steam beer, you may notice a bit of fruitiness. If you ever want to do a lager-like beer again in the future, you may get better results with a clean well attenuating ale yeast rather than a lager yeast at room temperatures. I've had good results with nottingham at 60 degrees- it was very lager-like!

Shouldn't need to. Priming sugar will wake those sleepy little guys up. Perhaps the experts will correct me if I am wrong. I am assuming the (stuck?) fermentation is due to lack of fermentables in the wort, rather than a problem with the yeast.

Shouldn't need to. Priming sugar will wake those sleepy little guys up. Perhaps the experts will correct me if I am wrong. I am assuming the (stuck?) fermentation is due to lack of fermentables in the wort, rather than a problem with the yeast.

I agree. Corn Sugar will wake the yeast up and carb your brew. Lot of non fermentables in those extracts

Barry

would it hurt to throw somehoney in there as well if so how much could i get away with ? without bottle bombs that is ?

Any extra fermentables beyond the priming sugar will either need to be considered as part of the priming sugar (lower the priming sugar) or allowed to ferment out first before priming.

I have no idea why you want to add honey, but if you want to do it, do it before you consider bottling. Then allow it to ferment out, and then add the priming sugar for bottle. Otherwise, yes, bottle bombs will be guaranteed.

I tastedwhen i took the SG i didnt notice any sweetness really and it tasted pretty good . this is only my second batch. one thing i did notice was a strong bite of alcohol.

A friend had mentioned useing honey in his, but now it seems like a bad idea. I will Taste again because the last time I really was not looking for sweetness.

It's not stuck. It's where it needs to be. Using extracts other than Pale/Light/Pils will often mean you end up above where you think your yeast will take you. It's the nature of the ingredients, not the yeast pooping out.

When we more experienced brewers talk about leftover fermentables in the extract, we mean fermentables that your yeast won't be able to metabolize no matter how long you leave it sit or how much yeast you add. Those unfermentables are what makes Amber and Munich extracts what they are; they also mean your FG won't go as low as you may calculate (or your recipe sheet tells you). Yeast can't read, nor can they understand English. ;)

Say it with me: "I will stop worrying. I will leave my beer alone in the fermenter for another 7 days. Then will check the gravity with my hydrometer. If it remains the same (1.020), I will bottle using normal bottling procedure. Then I'll leave the bottles alone for three weeks in a ~70F cool, dark place."

Repeat.

Repeat.

Repeat.

:D

Seriously - you're overthinking this. Do what I tell you and RDWHAHB! :mug:

Bob

Back