Dry hop sub for all centennial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyc

Reaction score
I've got an all centennial IPA and I'm out of centennial and cascade but I've got almost everything else. I saw these as subs Amarillo, Columbus, Summit but didn't know what would work best since my entire hop schedule was centennial.

I have dry hopped a APA with Amarillo and had good results. I think it would give you similar hop/citrus aroma to cascades.

I can't comment on the others, I have used columbus for bittering, but never dry hopped.

I have some centennials if you are interested in trading.

I think both are a fair substitution. I think the Amarillo might be closer (only because it's probably got the lower % (11%? compared to the 13-15% Columbus?). I like all the hops mentioned in this thread, so I don't think you'll lose with any of them either way.

Thanks for the offer Neal, a little out of my driving range ;). I've got 8oz of Columbus but only 3 of Amarillo so I may go w/ the Columbus. The AA shouldn't matter so much in dry hopping.

No worries, I work at the Cumberland Mall area and could probably meet you somewhere ITP if needed though. Otherwise, I think Columbus is a good choice.

I love the combination of Amarillo and Centennial. Just about every PA/IPA I brew I use an even blend of these two hops at each addition and just average out their AA%.

I think Amarillo is closer in flavor but Columbus will be tasty too.

Columbus is techincally centennial...so you could even still get away with saying all centennial. :mug:

Hopunion claims that, "Analytically a blend of 70% Cascade and 30% Columbus will give similar profile" to Centennial. Perhaps a blend of Amarillo and Columbus won't be too far off.

No, it's not. Why would columbus be the same as centennial?

Columbus is the same hop variety as Tomahawk.

Excuse me, perhaps technically was the wrong word.

Columbus/tomahawk is an "engineered centennial alternative" and not centennial itself. Still close enough for me to call it an all-centennial IPA though...

Back