What a day for a Dortmunder!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poobah58

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewed up a Dortmunder today and man was it a long hot day! Could only get the wort down to 80F. With a few minutes left in the boil, I realized I had no clean carboys. Had to keg my Belgian Wit, clean and then sanitize. Wort was in the keggle for almost an hour after flameout. My fridge was only about 55F so it is taking a while to cool. Had to pitch the Danish Lager yeast at about 64F. Hope it turns out OK. Looks like I may have to do a diacetyl rest with this one! :mug:

Ahhhhh you brewed without considering the situation of things. I have done that only once and will not repeat it. It's just too much strain on the old body. I got lazy recently and got behind in my brewing and will be doing catch up for summer. When it is a hot day you really are not used to it if you brew outside. My next brews will all be light hoppy ales and I start at 6:00 AM to avoid the heat of the day.

You didn't say what you are using to chill the wort, but there are various ways to improve cooling.

I used an undersized immersion chiller. It was OK for my 5 gallon batches, but I need to make a bigger one. I had planned to put the keggle/carboy in the fridge but even it wasn't cold enough. Left it in the fridge until 11PM then had to pitch yeast and go to bed. Pitched around 64F or so. I put the carboys in my laggering fridge which is now about 48-50F (carboys at 54F). I aerated last night and this morning I see some airlock activity!

Back