Dumbest Idea Goes To.. Heineken

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So... Do they recycle the batteries that power the LEDs?? Cause that seems like an awful lot of batteries going into the trash. I doubt recyclers are going to love having to discard that stuff when they take returnables.

On the other hand, it might be cool, as a novelty, to steal these form Heinenken bottles and put them on some homebrew. For about 15 seconds.

I think it's awesome.

Absolutely ridiculous, Don't get me wrong, but completely awesome. Bottles that light up in time to the music? That would be incredible.

It should never be in commercial production, but for a huge promotional gimmick party, why not?

There is a plastic island of garbage in the pacific bigger than texas. I think that we have roughly 90% of the ocean still free of crap, so why worry? It might be nice to hike from california to Japan some day......

:mug:

Well, you could steal them off the bottles and put the circuits on your kegerator...

Meh. I've got some light up LOTR glasses from Burger King. I don't think I need these.

When I first saw the thread label,I thought they meant LED bottle labels like Back to the Future's pop bottles. That would've been cool,but this is just plain usless. Drink these while you wear your light up sneekers to the disco...

Medea Vodka has something similar... It's a bottle with an LED display that you can program with messages that scroll across the display:

http://www.medeaspirits.com/home
http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/medea-vodka

Is it kinda stupid, and kinda pointless? Yes.
Is it a gimmick? Yes.
Does it make a great gift? Yes.

My wife bought one for a family friend a couple years ago for her birthday, and it was a big hit.

How about a light 'em up coaster?

I don't like disposable items, but that would be cool.

How is this a dumb idea? They're not a craft beer company, they're a marketing company. I can see people buying these

I think the OP was thinking "What moron would bother to make beer and then intentionally expose it to light, which is harmful to beer"

The answer is: Money hungry morons who bottle in green to begin with.

When marketing trumps beer quality, you can go eff yourself. I am with the OP on this one.

Perhaps the idiots that buy these bottles will all fall over from light induced seizures, thereby reducing the sales of this absurd product and forcing Heinykin to stop producing them. Added bonus, Darwin will be hard at work reducing the weak from the herd. Double bonus, the guy that thought of this will be one of the victims.

I think the OP was thinking "What moron would bother to make beer and then intentionally expose it to light, which is harmful to beer"

The answer is: Money hungry morons who bottle in green to begin with.

When marketing trumps beer quality, you can go eff yourself. I am with the OP on this one.

I'm not entirely sure if the LED lights would effect the beer (if that's what you are implying), but the green bottles do.

Is it a clever marketing promo? You could argue that. I would disagree, but that is just an opinion.

I think it's dumb simply because it is wasteful. Not that wasting Heineken is such a bad thing.

It reminds me of my favorite quote:

"No man ever lost money underestimating the stupidity of the American public."
- P.T.Barnum

I'm not entirely sure if the LED lights would effect the beer (if that's what you are implying), but the green bottles do.

Is it a clever marketing promo? You could argue that. I would disagree, but that is just an opinion.

I think it's dumb simply because it is wasteful. Not that wasting Heineken is such a bad thing.

Oh absolutely. It is insult upon injury, but just because the house is on fire is no reason to throw lit matches at it. In the end it won't matter much but you look effing retarded doing it.

Cool novelty idea, but not very practical for large-scale production.

And good God, those things would cost 10 bucks a bottle in the bars.

It seems like a clever way to distract your attention from the fact that the beer taste nasty...

I think the LEDS provide a different wavelength then traditional fluorescence or iridescent bulbs.
On that note, these bottles are pretty clever (from a marketing standpoint)

I would buy a sixpack (wonder how much it would be?!) and try and remove them for the sheer enjoyability of watching the lights run to the music. That or bring them campng and use them as lanterns. LEDs should last a LONG time.

I dont love it, but i cant hate it. My father LOVES the beer and i cant say i dont either (beer pong, tailgaiting, camping).
Ive been drinking it since i was 8!!

aubiecat said:
Yeah, for Asians and under age drinkers.

We laugh at vortex bottles and cold indicators, yet they still sell. Not saying it's right, but apparently it helps some people think the beer tastes better.

drainbamage said:
We laugh at vortex bottles and cold indicators, yet they still sell. Not saying it's right, but apparently it helps some people think the beer tastes better.

It goes to show how gullible people are. I can't remember the last time I saw a "big industrial beer" ad mention anything other than the package or how cold it is. Sorry to rant...I just hate mega-corporations.

Silly bull**** sells. I'm a guilty consumer. If I were half in the bag at a rave I'd buy one of these to watch it blink at some cool dubstep.

This isn't marketed towards craft beer drinkers, it's marketed towards young, bar scene people who are looking to get drunk and hook up.

I wish I was still young (and single) enough to be in the target audience:(.

Latest posts

Back