Keggle Build Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrEggSandwich

Reaction score
I've been brewing for about a year, extract w/grains, and am slowly itching to move towards all grain, going to try partial mash soon. Very slowly (1+ years)...But would like to get some of the pieces in place.

Got my hands on a keg, and will be building a keggle...I plan on purchasing spigot, thermometer/site glass as a kit...(the less holes, the better right?).

My question is: Do I add a second spigot on the top, as I have seen? I would imagine I eventually would like a gravity setup, So I would imagine that the top spigot would be to drain wort from lauter tun, into boil kettle? Is this correct? What about quick disconnects? Is this something I can add down the line?

Any other advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

First you need to figure out what you are going to use it for. For partial mashes you won't need anything this size. The keggles are used for all grain larger batch sizes, ie 10 gallons. If your going to use it as a BK then you will want the bottom spigot, sight glass, and thermometer on the bottom. As far as the top spigot that is use for when you transfer from your MLT(which most times is another keggle) into the BK. Obviously through a pump unless you do a three tier system.

My suggestion would be to do some search and figure out what type of all grain setup you want. There are many, many options to choose from.

unless you have concrete plans for your keggles future I suggest just installing the ball valve, pickup tube at the base of the keg. Other things can always be added later. It's easier to drill a new hole than plug an existing one.

If you're just running a propane stand setup then that single ball valve will work just fine.

Back