Fermenter not sealing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks, I've just started (last night), a 30 bottle wine kit but have noticed today that the lid on the fermenter does not seal. The gas is escaping from the lid instead of through the airlock. Should I transfer the brew to another fermenter or will it be ok to leave in this one?
This is my first home brew for quite a few years so don't want my 1st attempt to nose dive :drunk:

I know a lot of kits want you too primary with an airlock but just so you know, traditional wine makers do not do this. I primary ferment with the lid but not sealed and stir the cap down to introduce oxygen, when the wine starts to calm down I attatch the airlock. this helps the unwanted gases to escape from the wine and in my opinion improves the quality of the wine.

i don't even snap the lid on.
just place it on the bucket with a paper towel over the airlock hole for the first few days, then it goes in a carboy.

I wouldn't go by time on when to rack out of primary. I usually wait until the gravity is down to .995-1.010 range to rack to secondary. If you rack to early the fermentation might stale.

The only time I snap the lid closed on my primary bucket is during moving from the dining room table to the guest bathtub. Keeps splashed purple dots off the floor!

Back