Kegging Process Confirmation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPHussey

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just picked up a mini fridge and ordered a kegging kit from kegconnection. Before I begin my foray into kegging, I just want to confirm that I have this process down as compared to bottling.

First we ferment in the primary as normal, next we move to a secondary (if that's your cup of tea). After that, I would normally bottle and let sit for at least two weeks before drinking. So in lieu of that, I am now going to move straight from the secondary to a keg....at that point do I begin carbonating the keg (to remove the oxygen, etc) or do I let it sit for 2 weeks then carbonate it? Or carbonate it and let it sit for two weeks? Or what?!

I guess I'm just a little confused on what, if any, aging process or cooling process needs to happen in the keg prior to serving.

JPHussey said:
Hi all,

I just picked up a mini fridge and ordered a kegging kit from kegconnection. Before I begin my foray into kegging, I just want to confirm that I have this process down as compared to bottling.

First we ferment in the primary as normal, next we move to a secondary (if that's your cup of tea). After that, I would normally bottle and let sit for at least two weeks before drinking. So in lieu of that, I am now going to move straight from the secondary to a keg....at that point do I begin carbonating the keg (to remove the oxygen, etc) or do I let it sit for 2 weeks then carbonate it? Or carbonate it and let it sit for two weeks? Or what?!

I guess I'm just a little confused on what, if any, aging process or cooling process needs to happen in the keg prior to serving.

Blast co2, let some out to purge O2, and let sit at serving pressure and temperature for about 2 weeks. Or force it for sooner consumption.

Awesome, thanks.

So go straight from secondary to keg, crank on the CO2 and release it a few times to purge all O2, then leave it sit in the kegerator at serving temp and pressure. Thanks!

Back