American IPA Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone (close as they come)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After three weeks, I dropped the temp down to 42 to cold crash and get down in temp for carbing in the kegs. Probably leave it like that for a week or so and hopefully it clears up before kegging.

Three weeks primary including dry hop and two weeks in keg, very good. I added 2oz of honey malt to get that sweetness I taste when Two Hearted is on tap. This is the closest version I've made to Two Hearted, like a baby Hop Slam. Btw, I tasted some awesome IPA's at the GABF that are also worth cloning. I found Pliny overrated while Firestone Walker and Odells had some of the best.

Just brewed this today, my first attempt at all grain BIAB. 90 minute mash at 150 and dipped it in a couple gallons at 170. 1.058 og, I can't wait to see how it turns out. I haven't had Two hearted in days as it's not available on the west coast. This 5 1/2 gallon batch cost me $21 which is pretty awesome. I love all grain!

Tonight was my second attempt at BIAB and I brewed the recipe on the front page. I have done extract versions of this clone which were VERY good, but I am anxious to see how this one turns out after reading all of the positive reviews of this recipe!

I did almost the same steps as you porky, but I only did a 60 minute mash. My OG was 1.060. The color was really nice and I was amazed at how clear the wort was when it was chilling in the wort chiller!

Two Hearted is one of my all-time favorites so I hoping this one turns out as good as it looks! :mug:

Well finally got around to bottling this last night. Looked, smelled, and tasted pretty good, so we will see in a month or so!

Good stuff here guys. Sounds like the Honey Malt would be a good addition - but I will tell you this the original recipe has been so close that a lot of people I have taste tested this against have thought the homebrew was the commercial Two Hearted. Do the same please - report back blind taste test results. 2 topics to be explored. A.) Which one do you like the best? And B.) Which one do you think is commercial? Obviously, you'll need to buy a sixer of Two Hearted. Try to get someone who is into craft beer as I have done - talk about a rush when you come out on top!

Just cracked the first one (still a little green at one week in the bottle) and daymn it was good. Probably my best beer to date. Simple, clean, hoppy, not bitter - just like the original and just like a PA should be!! Will buy some of the "original" this weekend to taste test. I <3 Brewing!

This past week I brewed Northern Brewers Dead Ringer again. It's all grain but this time I bought the ingredients locally and saved a few $$. NB is reasonable but after I buy a 50 lb sack of 2 row and got a large supply of hops to freeze, my friends loved it so much a few months ago they begged me to do it again. They're all beer snobs and see this is the best beer they've tasted that I've made and one of the all time favorites of any beer they've ever had. It's gotta stay on rotation.
And, it's so simple, it's basically a SMaSh with the exception of the 1 lb of crystal 40.

Beer-lord said:
This past week I brewed Northern Brewers Dead Ringer again. It's all grain but this time I bought the ingredients locally and saved a few $$. NB is reasonable but after I buy a 50 lb sack of 2 row and got a large supply of hops to freeze, my friends loved it so much a few months ago they begged me to do it again. They're all beer snobs and see this is the best beer they've tasted that I've made and one of the all time favorites of any beer they've ever had. It's gotta stay on rotation.
And, it's so simple, it's basically a SMaSh with the exception of the 1 lb of crystal 40.

The OP recipe here is much closer to the real thing. But yes, buying bulk is way cheaper than NB especially since they changed their shipping rates. It's nice you can still see their recipes without buying the products though.

sivdrinks said:
The OP recipe here is much closer to the real thing.

This is great to know. I was just wandering this very same thing after loading all the NB recipes on Beer Smith. Thanks.

brewing this same grain bill for the fourth time this morning except this time I'm using falconers flight hops, I can't thank the OP enough for putting this out here for us.

Brewed up a bacth of this following this recipe doing BIAB 2 weeks ago. Just threw in the dry hops today and took a sample while I had my bucket open and it tastes AMAZING! Can't wait to bottle this and start drinking it! This was my second attempt at BIAB. I had some issues with my first BIAB and I think I was able to get most of them sorted out as this appears to be a much better brew than my first attempt. My first BIAB was a Belgian wit and, while it isn't a horrible beer by any means, one of my major issues was not adding my spice additions at the proper time and I got virtually no flavors from the spices/orange peels.

I'm really excited to see how this Two Hearted clone turns out now! :)

I liked the Northern Brewer version so much, I brewed it again two weeks ago. Saved a few $$$ since I now buy grains and hops in bulk. It's very close to the real deal. And will be on regular rotation in my kegerator.

So I'm planning to make this but I have already bulk ordered my hops for the year and unfortunately missed out on getting centennial. I do, however, have 2lbs of cascade and 1lb of amarillo. Can I get there from here or am I going to need to buy some centennial if I even want to get in the ballpark? I'm okay not being 100% identical as long as it's close and delicious.

I'm also subbing munich for vienna, although if that's a poor substitution I can easily get a few pounds of vienna. Don't have any other plans for the munich so I'd like to use it on this if it's a good enough sub.

Wyeast 1272 is my yeast.

Other hops I have on hand: US Goldings, Northern Brewer, Magnum.

I've never had Bell's Two-Hearted and it isn't available in UT as far as I have found. There's a guy from Kentucky who is in UT for business and he's going to bring some Two-Hearted back soon and our plan is to try them side-by-side. I'd like to impress with my beer even if it isn't identical.

To me, technically, 2 Hearted is very much a SMaSH. It's got all 2 row and a small amount of crystal 40 and ALL Centennial.
I would think if you sub'd all Cascade you'd be close. I'm not sure about the Amarillo.
FWIW, here's my recipe that I love. I sometimes do FWH in place of the 60 minute addition.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Bell's 2 Hearted Ale
Brewer: Paul
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Amber Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 5.70 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.20 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.062 SG
Estimated Color: 8.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 63.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 91.7 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.3 %
0.75 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 27.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 4 22.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 5 14.5 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 6 -
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 7 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 26.32 qt of water at 163.1 F 152.1 F 75 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Notes:
------

Here's my work in progress recipe:

Recipe: Two-Hearted TYPE: All Grain
Style: American IPA
---RECIPE SPECIFICATIONS-----------------------------------------------
SRM: 6.5 SRM
IBU: 51.9 IBUs Tinseth
OG: 1.064 SG
FG: 1.011 SG
BU:GU: 0.811 Est ABV: 6.9 %
EE%: 72.00 % Batch: 10.50 gal Boil: 14.00 gal BT: 60 Mins

Total Grain Weight: 25 lbs Total Hops: 12.00 oz oz.
---MASH/STEEP PROCESS------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
18 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 72.0 %
4 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 16.0 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.0 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.0 %

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 25.99 qt of water at 167.1 F 150.0 F 75 min

Fly sparge with 10.38 gal water at 168.0 F
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3.00 oz Cascade [4.70 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 5 24.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [9.80 %] - First Wort 60.0 Hop 6 16.8 IBUs

---BOIL PROCESS-----------------------------
Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.050 SG Est OG: 1.064 SG
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1 lbs Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 7 4.0 %
2.00 oz Cascade [4.70 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 7.3 IBUs
2.00 oz Cascade [4.70 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 2.9 IBUs
2.00 oz Cascade [4.70 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 10 0.6 IBUs

Dry hop 2oz cascade for 5 days

I don't think your beer will be all that different from a Two Hearted. It will probably still be a pretty tasty IPA and should still impress. It just won't be a true clone because the thing about Two Hearted is that it is ALL Centenial, nothing else. To me, that is what sets this IPA off from the others and why it is one of my favorite IPA's period.

I ended up picking up 1lb of centennial pellet hops, so I'm pretty much gonna do the OP recipe with just munich subbed for vienna. Well, that and 1lb DME to get the O.G. in the right place due to the limits of my 10gal igloo cooler, but that will be a gametime decision based on my mash efficiency. I've been getting a little more sugar lately, so I might be good to go without it.

I'll make a similar recipe after this using cascade/amarillo/belma.

Gameface said:
So I'm planning to make this but I have already bulk ordered my hops for the year and unfortunately missed out on getting centennial. I do, however, have 2lbs of cascade and 1lb of amarillo. Can I get there from here or am I going to need to buy some centennial if I even want to get in the ballpark? I'm okay not being 100% identical as long as it's close and delicious.

I'm also subbing munich for vienna, although if that's a poor substitution I can easily get a few pounds of vienna. Don't have any other plans for the munich so I'd like to use it on this if it's a good enough sub.

Wyeast 1272 is my yeast.

I've never had Bell's Two-Hearted and it isn't available in UT as far as I have found. There's a guy from Kentucky who is in UT for business and he's going to bring some Two-Hearted back soon and our plan is to try them side-by-side. I'd like to impress with my beer even if it isn't identical.

What about "Centennial Type" hops? I'm not certain but I hear they are quite close. Given the fact that its a one hop recipe maybe it won't be a clone, but I bet it would make a great beer. I think this will be my next brew, with Centennial "type" hops.
They're cheap by the pound so if I don't love it, no huge loss. Anyone ever subbed for this recipe?

What about "Centennial Type" hops? I'm not certain but I hear they are quite close. Given the fact that its a one hop recipe maybe it won't be a clone, but I bet it would make a great beer. I think this will be my next brew, with Centennial "type" hops.
They're cheap by the pound so if I don't love it, no huge loss. Anyone ever subbed for this recipe?

Blending Cascade and Columbus is a time honored method of subbing for Centennial. I think the blend is 70% Cascade and 30% Columbus. You'll be able to find it on-line if you search a bit.

Bottling up my batch of this tonight after dry hopping for 7 days with 2 oz. of Centennial! :mug:

Just in time too as I'm down to my last sixer of my last batch but that was an extract clone. It was still damn good though...

Awwww yaaaa! My first side-by-side with the "real thing"! Can you guess which is which? As far as taste goes, they are really close. I had SWIMBO pour them and move them around so I could do the blind taste test. I did pick which is which. Maybe its just me, but all my homebrews have some flavor that is the same across all styles. Not sure what to call it but its something I can taste. I dont know if someone who is not familiar with my homebrew could tell them apart though! The real thing might be a little dryer than mine, so I might mash a little cooler next time. Other than that, they were almost dead on. I followed the original recipe exact and actually used some harvested Bells yeast. Great work OP!!

IMAG1029.jpg

IMAG1030.jpg

Wyeast 1272 is my yeast.

Hops Direct has Centennial pellets now! http://www.hopsdirect.com/

After a week in the fridge... Could use more time to absorb the co2, and clear. This was a BIAB so I don't expect it to be crystal clear, but we will see. Had pretty good aroma (might do more then 1oz dry hop next time), and seems to taste pretty good.

image-3955460342.jpg

...I had SWIMBO pour them and move them around so I could do the blind taste test. I did pick which is which. Maybe its just me,...

Hi Dave, Do this test on someone other than yourself. I put on a blind taste test for 3 of my friends. Each one of them guessed wrong based on the questions...which one do you like the best and which one is the commercial Two Hearted. These were all Craft beer lovers and Two Hearted Fans - but they all preferred my home brew and all thought it was the commercial THA.

I could pick mine out no problem it was way fresher - had a way better aroma that the commercial THA. I think this is "home-brewer-sensitivity". You start brewing and you start analyzing every nuance....to the point of being hyper-sensitive.

Jhoss, what was ur fermentation schedule like? My brew is in the fermenter now. Was planning 3 weeks in primary and then dry hop for a week, cold crash and keg. What did you do?

I brewed this last month and it was my first all grain BIAB and now that it's almost gone I know I want to upgrade to be able to brew at least 10 gallon batches! So good.

Jhoss, what was ur fermentation schedule like? My brew is in the fermenter now. Was planning 3 weeks in primary and then dry hop for a week, cold crash and keg. What did you do?

I let mine ride for 2 weeks in primary and then dry hopped for a week and bottled after 3 weeks. I don't transfer to secondary for dry hopping btw.

It's only been bottle conditioning for a week, but the hydrometer sample I tasted was great! :mug:

I go 21 days in primary. Rack to secondary and at least 2 oz's of dry hops for 5 days, cold crash till it looks good and bottle. 3 weeks at 70, at least 48 hrs. In the fridge and yer good to go.

Just did this on Friday. My first AG without a bag!
Missed the note about mashing low and did mine at 162F for 1hr15. Is this why I missed the OG by so much?
Added 12oz DME to get up to 1.064.

Just did this on Friday. My first AG without a bag!
Missed the note about mashing low and did mine at 162F for 1hr15. Is this why I missed the OG by so much?

Nope - conversion is conversion. The mash temp will affect the fermentability of the wort, but not the original gravity. Off the top of my head I'd guess perhaps you didn't stir the mash well, or your sparging was off, or the pH of your mash was outside the recommended range, or you had a bad crush.

Edit: You may be off (too high) on your volume too.

Alright, I really hate to do this since its probably the 1 millionth time someone has posted something like this and I should know better but getting reassurance helps out.

I recently made 10 gallons of this clone after my first batch was so well received. After opening one of my fermentation buckets, I noticed what is in the picture below floating on the top. I am hoping its just chunks of yeast, I tried my hydrometer sample and it tasted great so I am hoping this isn't an infection.

My other fermenter looks fine and no chunks like this, it was a 6 gallon better bottle that I had swirled due to a ton of krausen on top that I wanted to fall out.

I used some harvested yeast from Bell's Oarsman Ale, just as I had in the past and this was a very long and explosive fermentation. Anybody think this is something to worry about or am I good since the sample tasted good after 3 weeks?

3r1fp.jpg

barhoc11 said:
Alright, I really hate to do this since its probably the 1 millionth time someone has posted something like this and I should know better but getting reassurance helps out.

I recently made 10 gallons of this clone after my first batch was so well received. After opening one of my fermentation buckets, I noticed what is in the picture below floating on the top. I am hoping its just chunks of yeast, I tried my hydrometer sample and it tasted great so I am hoping this isn't an infection.

My other fermenter looks fine and no chunks like this, it was a 6 gallon better bottle that I had swirled due to a ton of krausen on top that I wanted to fall out.

I used some harvested yeast from Bell's Oarsman Ale, just as I had in the past and this was a very long and explosive fermentation. Anybody think this is something to worry about or am I good since the sample tasted good after 3 weeks?

Not certain but that just looks like some yeast rafts to me. Time and or cold crashing (or both) will probably cause that to settle out. If not, add a bit of gelatin if and when you rack to secondary for dry hopping. If you're already in secondary and will be kegging then add gelatin at kegging time, cold crash, then toss the first pint or two as the gelatin will settle at the bottom of your keg.
Good luck.

Not certain but that just looks like some yeast rafts to me. Time and or cold crashing (or both) will probably cause that to settle out. If not, add a bit of gelatin if and when you rack to secondary for dry hopping. If you're already in secondary and will be kegging then add gelatin at kegging time, cold crash, then toss the first pint or two as the gelatin will settle at the bottom of your keg.
Good luck.

Thanks for the input, that is actually my primary where I am also dry hopping due to only having 1 secondary fermenter (10 gallon batch). I plan to cold crash this one before kegging, it does help a lot with clarity. I guess I will keep an eye on things to make sure all is well but the fact that this tasted good makes me think this is just some remaining yeast on top. I had an infection a few batches ago so I think that is in the back of my mind still.

IMO, the NB Deadringer version is very close. Unbelievable how good of beer you can make from 2 malts and 1 hop. I don't think they use anything else, just those 3 ingredients. Using the actual Bells yeast is key I think, and it needs to approach the mid to upper 60's for the back half of the fermentation to match the fruity esters of the original.

I'm going with 2 oz of dry hopped Cent as the aroma was a tad lacking last time. And dialing down the temps just a degree or two (hit 70 last time). Otherwise it's a 3-3.5 week primary only ferment. Included in that time is a 10-12 day dry hop and a 3 day cold crash with gelatin. Going to bottle this one again as friends really liked it last time.

How would Weyast 1028 - London Ale be with this recipe? I have some I just harvested from another beer.

Back