Is there a 12 step program for hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glynn

Reaction score
I am a self proclaimed hop addict. Every time i go to a hbs I come home with hops even if I'm not going in for hops. Today i went to check out another hbs store 45 min away and came home 2 oz of simcoe leaf and a bag of caps. The other day i went to my local to get a recipe from the brewer and came back with warrior and citra and no recipe. the time before that it was fuggle and ekg. Please tell me I'm not alone in this obsession :D

I almost spent $150 to get NZ hops before they were sold in the states ... My SWMBO caught me with 64z of hops when they came to the states (right before I clicked purchase :( ). I think she's my 12 step process.

I made a run to local hb store (30 min) to pick up a package of yeast. Gotta make this trip more useful right? Came back with ~300 bottle caps and a couple oz of hops... All unnecessary

got a freezer with lbs of hops, and plans to make bitters, ipa's, apa's etc. then i make hefe's, blonds, milds, etc, to save the hops...

I just started seriously brewing this winter...so I'm not severely afflicted yet. But...as soon as the harvest is in I'll need lbs of simcoe and Amarillo and Citra and...

I bought 2 lbs of Willamette during a hops for pops fathers day sale, I think it was $7/lb 2nd lb free! Couldn't pass that up, I'll just be using Willamette for my porters and stouts for the foreseeable future.

I have several pounds of various hops in the freezer, but when i go to the hbs i buy simcoe and Amarillo, if they have any.
I have almost a pound of each, but haven't brewed a beer using either in several months, because I'm afraid ill run out.

I'm a recovering hop addict. Don't make the same mistake I did. Before I hit rock bottom I was buying all sorts of hops because well, it's so cheap for an ounce, why not? My biggest problem is my LHBS sells in poly bags, not vacuumed barrier bags. This led to me ruining two batches due to brewing and / or dryhopping with bad hops. It presented as a vegetal / bitter flavor. I didn't expect the bitterness, but it was just straight vegetal bitterness with no aroma or flavor. Not good... So if you're an addict please be safe and buy barrier bags - they'll stay fresh MUCH longer (or brew your ass off focusing on barleywines and IPAs). I now have a TON of hops, most of which I'll be tossing since I don't trust they won't lend to off flavors or potentially ruin another batch. Most of them are US and non-noble varieties so I can't even put them to use for sours. I'm now going to switch to another dealer, er, LHBS for my hops.

lumpher said:
got a freezer with lbs of hops, and plans to make bitters, ipa's, apa's etc. then i make hefe's, blonds, milds, etc, to save the hops...

I checked Brewsmith and I have +25 pounds of hops in inventory.....

And there are still varieties I would buy at the drop of a hat.....

My biggest problem is my LHBS sells in poly bags, not vacuumed barrier bags.
Yikes...I got a vacuum sealer one Christmas, that just sat there for a year until I started brewing! Now I just vacuum seal the leftovers.

Back