Want to brew a dark light

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pstdu4brew

Reaction score
We have finished a Pale Ale on our first attempt, and a Pilsner/Lager on our second attempt. The Pale was good but too hoppie(?). The Pilsner/Lager took forever and while good, was sort of a shock taste, even after the third or fourth beer. Is there a way to brew a light (alcohol) but dark amber beer? I love to drink beer but I'm too old to continue crawling to bed, especially upstairs. I loved some of the beers I drank in Germany but don't care for the almost distilled alcohol content anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions other than to continue to buy Miller, Coors or Bud Light?

If you know of a commercial beer that you like, there are lots of ways to make a similar beer. Many of us have clone recipes or recipes with a similar flavor profile.

My husband loves my Dead Guy clone and it's 6% ABV but you can use a bit less malt to make it less alcohol. My Fat Tire clone is around 5% ABV, which is probably about right for that beer.

Let us know what you're looking for.

I've also been trying unsuccessfully to brew a light style beer, I wish I could help you but after a few failed attempts the only valuable advice I have to offer is enjoy having some different styles of beer even if they aren't light and keep trying.

I'm probably going to try a Munson's American Light Style beer kit sometime in the next couple of weeks when I have some space free up. The last time I used one of those Munson's kits it turned out really well.

My standard dry stout finishes at about 3.8-3.9%, it's a nice session beer that I tend to enjoy almost every day with dinner. Look for (or create) recipes that have an OG in the high 1.03x and low 1.04x and you will get a lower strength beer that still has all the great flavours you love. Also make sure to ferment in the low range of the yeast temperatures so you don't get any of those nasty headache causing alcohols.

Milds are your best bet for a low gravity amber, but here's a PM for a 4% Black Ale:

1 lb German Pilsner
8 oz. C90L
1 lb Munich
4 oz. Carafa II (de-husked)

Mashed @ 152F

3.5 lb Dark LME

1 oz. Northern Brewer @ 60
1/2 oz. Saaz at 15 & 5

London Ale yeast

Latest posts

Back