1958 keg...what can I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bionicbrew

Reaction score
trying to figure out what I can do with this thing. it was given to me by a friend today. the top has a "11-58", so I assume it's from 1958. it also says aluminum, so no stainless steel? haven't looked inside it yet. and I know very little about kegs, let alone old ones.

PICT0001.jpg

PICT0002.jpg

Better take it back to the brewery... I bet they are missing it! :) I wouldn't drink any beer out of that keg, I bet most of the people that did are dead now.

Hot Rod Fuel tank or BBQ grill!

now that's thinking outside the box. I was thinking brewing use, but I like that too. I'll have to look inside it before considering putting beer or beverages in it. the bung is pretty rusty.

I had never seen a hose faucet on a keg. it's almost the same size as a regular 15gallon keg. I should put my keggle up next to it for comparison. it's almost cool enough for just a display piece. some wood blocks under it scooped out to keep it from rolling away.

Put it somewhere so the bung on the side of the keg is against a wall. Remove the faucet, and replace with a perlick/shank. Run beer line in from the bung on the side to the faucet. You'd have the coolest "tower" around.

Better take it back to the brewery... I bet they are missing it! :)

I'm with onthekeg. From what I read here the brewery owns the keg forever and they still have the right to come put bamboo under you fingernails if you do not return it. If the brewery is no longer in operation the original creditors can attack you through bankruptcy court. Is this worth losing your house over?

...Polish that bad boy and put it on display...

Paint the name of your bar on the side and hang it up as a sign...

Put it somewhere so the bung on the side of the keg is against a wall. Remove the faucet, and replace with a perlick/shank. Run beer line in from the bung on the side to the faucet. You'd have the coolest "tower" around.

now we're talking! fountain idea is good too. I love old stuff, so I do want to keep it fairly uncut if possible. I can combine these 3 ideas easily.:mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back