Post pics of your smoker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smk2.jpg
wing1.jpg
turkeys.jpg
brisket2.jpg

Lordy, that thing is a beast!!

I assume you do catering? Pardon the dumb question, but do you roll down the road with the fire going and meat on the grill?

Arturo7, no bad questions ever. It really defeats the purpose to try to keep it lit and move. The wind sucks the heat right out of the pit.
Did do some catering, scaling back and selling this pit.

Arturo7, no bad questions ever. It really defeats the purpose to try to keep it lit and move. The wind sucks the heat right out of the pit.
Did do some catering, scaling back and selling this pit.

That's what I figured. I assume the smoking process is pretty much complete when one of those bad boys rolls up. You just put the meat on to warm it up?

My home made smoker. It is propane fired with digital temperature control. Made from a converted stainless steel hospital meal cart.

We removed the refrigeration unit from this cart and have plans to use it for a 6' x 6' walk in cooler.

2uikvfc.jpg

Building my Ugly Drum Smoker. Drilled the 1" intakes and burned it today. Spent about an hour wire wheeling it off with my dinky hand drill before I called it quits almost halfway through. I might just go out and see if I can get a bigger one to fit my drill.

Just put on the first coat of grill paint and casters. What a complete pain in the ass, I had to climb into it and have someone else hold the nuts from the outside. (I've grilled in it twice now so it's a bit greasy). And the win is whipping today so I had issues with getting a good coating because of holding the spray can close.

PS it's 83 and sunny, Miller Lite is as good as water.

img2110bb.jpg

Nothing crazy here. 18.5" WSM, since this picture I added handles to the side of the body to make it easier to lift when I need to add coal. I wish I would have bought the 22.5" version.

IMG_3652.jpg

And here is a electric cold smoker attachment I made by hand with sheet metal, an electric hot plate, and a small cast iron skillet.

Cold Smoker MKI MOD 0
IMG_3657.jpg

IMG_3658.jpg

IMG_3659.jpg

And some of my handy work
IMG_3656.jpg

IMG_3654.jpg

IMG_3667.jpg

IMG_3772.jpg

IMG_3663.jpg

Ok where to start:
Couple of Eggs
dsc02508.jpg

Custom Small log burner
DSC_4155%20%281024x680%29.jpg

Custom trailered Bates pit
bateshomes.jpg

Cookshack FEC100
installed.jpg

Weber Summit S670
summit.jpg

Some Food:
DSC_3058.JPG

DSC_4975%20%281024x680%29.jpg

DSC_4981%20%281024x680%29.jpg

bacon%20all.JPG

here's my ECB with modifications. it always worked fine, but i can get a really nice consistent temp for hours with these mods:

1) installed decent temp gauge that actually shows the temperature
2) installed stove gasket to keep heat/smoke from escaping around the lid
3) drilled holes, installed cover to control heat on top
4) added grate in coal chamber for better airflow

DSC01124.jpg

DSC01126.jpg

Here is my modified Brinkman SnP. It's pretty much on its last legs.

IMG_3980.JPG

I put in a baffle between the firebox and the smoke chamber. Picked up some 16 or 18 gauge steel from a local supplier. Cut out the piece with my cutoff wheel. I made it wide enough to span the diameter of the smoke chamber, then angled down the sides to kind of follow the countour of the chamber, until it got down to the level i wanted it at. I had to make two 45 degree bends with it. Then I just cut two other pieces the same width for tuning plates, and spaced them out in the bottom of the chamber.

IMG_3981.JPG

In this last shot, you can see another tuning plate, and the flashing I used to get the chimney down to the level of the grate.

IMG_3983.JPG

Before I did this, I had temp swings of 100 degrees from end to end. After doing this, I have a temp swing of 15 degrees. Highly recommend doing it. Pardon my dirty pit. Haven't cleaned it out in a while.

Here is a smoke house I built this year. It is completely portable and breaks down for storage. I use a 55 gallon drum as a smoke generator and fire box.

image-4060446167.jpg

image-2795295266.jpg

image-2831563881.jpg

image-3291525624.jpg

Here is my modified Brinkman SnP. It's pretty much on its last legs.

IMG_3980.JPG

I put in a baffle between the firebox and the smoke chamber. Picked up some 16 or 18 gauge steel from a local supplier. Cut out the piece with my cutoff wheel. I made it wide enough to span the diameter of the smoke chamber, then angled down the sides to kind of follow the countour of the chamber, until it got down to the level i wanted it at. I had to make two 45 degree bends with it. Then I just cut two other pieces the same width for tuning plates, and spaced them out in the bottom of the chamber.

IMG_3981.JPG

In this last shot, you can see another tuning plate, and the flashing I used to get the chimney down to the level of the grate.

IMG_3983.JPG

Before I did this, I had temp swings of 100 degrees from end to end. After doing this, I have a temp swing of 15 degrees. Highly recommend doing it. Pardon my dirty pit. Haven't cleaned it out in a while.

Nice job! I have also seen guys put a plate across the bottom and make them into a reverse flow smoker ala Lang.

Here's mine.
My stick burner, my Cookshack smoker, and my webber gas grill.
What can I say, we're meat eaters!
laynespit-1.jpg

I won this at the ASH Springfest this weekend!
smoker.jpg

We already made some pork spare ribs and a couple beef roasts.

for those that have PM'd and asked --
here are the specs for the units ( 2 ) that I use at the restaurant I work at.

esthirteen.jpg

Toastmaster ES-13

used for everything -- sausage, chicken, Pork Butt and Brisket.
Woods used include smooth bark hickory, mesquite and for Chicken, Apple and Hickory( since I started working there ). management hates me and loves me :D

If I can find some good Cherry wood at a reasonable price, I'll be adding that to my Brisket smokes.

I wanted a BGE, but the budget has been thinned by the addition of another mouth to feed, I went DIY route....

I present, the Large Brown Ovum:

IMG_0405.jpg

20" Terra Cotta pot and bowl, a few Weber replacement grates, BGE gasket and thermo, 12" t.c. bowl for a fire bowl and voila'!

Since pic was taken, added BGE SS draft door on the bottom...

Back