What is the conversion for DME to corn sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmpunk50

Reaction score
If a recipe calls for 1kg of corn sugar, and I wanted to use DME, what is the conversion? Is it just 1 kg dextrose = 1kg DME?

And would this be the same if a reciple calls for 1kg table sugar? I have a Cooper's kit, and wanted to use a DME for the dark ale.

I understand the debate between corn/table/DME, just want to know the conversion. Thanks in advance!

I'm talking about in the beginning when making the wort. The Cooper's kit I believe calls for 1 kg of sugar for the 5 gallons (before adding the yeast).

Corn sugar is 1.046 pppg while DME is 1.044 pppg. So if you use the formula:

Amount of DME = amount of corn sugar/.9981

That should get you close. The conversion would be the same for table sugar as it is also 1.046 pppg.

To use your example, 1kg of corn sugar would translate to 1.002kg of DME.

EDIT: Totally hosed my math.

Thanks Mojotele.

It basically looks like its pound for pound then. The reason I asked is that I called my local homebrew about this question. They said to use 3 lbs, which I thought was absurd.

I'm going to mix it up a bit, majority being DME and the rest dextrose, or maybe some table sugar (keep it under the 20% mark though).

Yeah, it's basically pound for pound. I'd measure out an equal proportion than add a pinch more DME.

I'd stay away from table sugar entirely, though.

Corn sugar is 1.046 pppg while DME is 1.044 pppg. So if you use the formula:

Amount of DME = amount of corn sugar/.9981

That should get you close. The conversion would be the same for table sugar as it is also 1.046 pppg.

To use your example, 1kg of corn sugar would translate to 1.002kg of DME.

EDIT: Totally hosed my math.

I believe the real figures are:
DME 1.046 pppg
Corn Sugar 1.042 pppg
Sucrose 1.046 pppg
LME 1.037 pppg
where pppg is points per lb per gallon
So you would need about 10% more corn sugar than DME to get the same fermentables, or 20% more LME.
If you are talking about small additions (which you are) to adjust a recipe, I agree with mojotele, the differences are pretty insignificant, If the additions are a major component of the fermentables, then the differences can add up.

-a.

Huh, my bad. I got those numbers out of BeerSmith. Did I grab the wrong numbers or is BeerSmith wrong?

EDIT: This is what I used from Beersmith.

beersmith2.jpg

I think Beersmith is wrong.
Promash, and most of the texts that I have read quote 1.046.
I just checked Designing Great Beers, and that splits the difference with 1.045

-a.

I agree with you on Beersmith being wrong. Every Internet source I can find has the DME potential being higher and the corn sugar potential being lower. Thanks!

Mabe a little off topic here... but what is the extract potential for fructose that I should plug into my brew caculator; is that also about 1.045? I'm simply trying to determine the potential increase in ABV from the addition of XXgrams of sugar from fruit puree added to a fermentation of Y gallons. I've looked all over and am not finding it in a way my feeble mind can comprehend...

It basically looks like its pound for pound then. The reason I asked is that I called my local homebrew about this question. They said to use 3 lbs, which I thought was absurd.

Absurd is all in how you look at it. If someone asked me how much malt extract is needed to replace the kilo of sugar recommended in a Coopers kit I would say 2.5-3#. That should put you in the 1.050 O.G. range which is a good all around gravity. If you just add a kilo of extract you'll be in the low 1.040 range. There's not too many beers that fall under this range true to style.

Back