Spent Grain? Make Your Best Friend Cookies!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I press mine WAY down so it comes out about the thickness of a standard milk-bone. I have a sheet that is the perfect size to press the mix evenly into each corner and cover every sqare inch of the sheet. Kind of like a thick version of those big-round cookies you get for someone's birthday at the mall, then scored into a grid so they break apart into 1" squares...

-Tripod

Made these today during my boil. I used some spelt flour and instead of the peanut butter I used a can of pumpkin. The dogs love it.

how long will spent grain keep in the fridge?

any idea how to tell if it's bad??

TIA

Careful with the canned pumpkin. I know that vets will give that to animals as a laxative. :D

Yuck..well, so far no problems, I've given them enough that it should have caused "problems".

They really like it though, I go near the stuff and they are all over me.

I started it during the boil. Yes, I did have a boilover. Good idea waiting.

So I love the idea of making these cookies for my dog. However, the problem is that I'm allergic to peanuts so we don't really have much of that in my house.

I've read about using bacon grease as an alternative but we only have bacon in our house once a year. I also read about using pumpkin instead of peanut butter. But then read about how it can be a laxative.

SO, does anyone have any ideas about what to use instead of peanut butter, bacon grease, or pumpkin?

Thanks!

So I love the idea of making these cookies for my dog. However, the problem is that I'm allergic to peanuts so we don't really have much of that in my house.

I've read about using bacon grease as an alternative but we only have bacon in our house once a year. I also read about using pumpkin instead of peanut butter. But then read about how it can be a laxative.

SO, does anyone have any ideas about what to use instead of peanut butter, bacon grease, or pumpkin?

Thanks!

The peanut butter is what kind of holds the mixture together (plus the dogs like it). Maybe you could mix some pumpkin, (but not too much- it really is a laxative, my dog was on a pumpkin/yogurt diet when he had a bout of colitis), with something like oil (again not too much) and the eggs. Or other kinds of butter- almond butter is expensive but has the same texture. Or applesauce.

Thanks!

While canned pumpkin is used as a "laxative", its more for the bulk fiber thats in it, so generally you feed quite a bit of it at a time to get the effects. As in Yoop's case, depending on the size of the dog I bet she was feeding close to a can a day. If you are using it in treats (ie. only a couple small pieces a day) you should have no ill effects.

If you are still worried about it, you can cut the pumpkin amount down by 1/3 to 1/2, and replace it with a vegetable shortening like Crisco. Just remember these are "treats" and should not be fed by the handful :D

While canned pumpkin is used as a "laxative", its more for the bulk fiber thats in it, so generally you feed quite a bit of it at a time to get the effects. As in Yoop's case, depending on the size of the dog I bet she was feeding close to a can a day. If you are using it in treats (ie. only a couple small pieces a day) you should have no ill effects.

If you are still worried about it, you can cut the pumpkin amount down by 1/3 to 1/2, and replace it with a vegetable shortening like Crisco. Just remember these are "treats" and should not be fed by the handful :D

Good to know that. I'm making my first batch of all grain beer on Saturday. I may just have to make my dog some treats as well.

Thanks, made my first batch yesterday, the dogs will do flips for them!

I tried one and they aren't half bad, just like a granola bar with out the sugar....

I found myself munching on the crumbs as I was giving the little leftover chunks to the dogs.....

only problem is that I only made one batch!!!! Next time I'' double the recipe!!!!

Thanks, made my first batch yesterday, the dogs will do flips for them!

I tried one and they aren't half bad, just like a granola bar with out the sugar....

I found myself munching on the crumbs as I was giving the little leftover chunks to the dogs.....

only problem is that I only made one batch!!!! Next time I'' double the recipe!!!!

I was totally guilty of that one too :) If they had a cup of sugar the dog and I would be fighting over them!

I made these a couple of weeks ago and the dogs love them! I tried giving them to the horses and they just played with them until I put some molasses on them. Now they want them as much as the dogs.

I made these a couple of weeks ago and the dogs love them! I tried giving them to the horses and they just played with them until I put some molasses on them. Now they want them as much as the dogs.

hmmmmm I might eat (more) if they were dipped in molasses!! :rockin:

I had no issue with the pumpkin! As a matter of fact, they are done with my first batch and we're off on the second. The bird likes them, too.

I have some in the oven right now thanks for the great idea.

You're very welcome. I too made a batch the other evening and my dog still goes absolutely crazy for these cookies. I recently changed up the recipe by decreasing the flour and increasing the egg. I find that they are not as dry when working with them and make it easier to use cookie cutters. They take a little bit longer to dry out but not by much. Hope your pooch enjoys them! :mug:

I messed up the proportions but the puppy still seems to like them. Boxer-Staffy mix.
3564990248_0bdaefcddb.jpg

They work, I think if something was wrong we'd of figured it out after 15 pages of responses...

I'm on my second batch and he loves them

Here's a quick bread recipe for the leftovers

4 cups flour - any kind. I just use the regular stuff
1 cup of mash
1 tbsp yeast
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp salt
3 cups of flat beer

Mix ingredients in a large bowl. Let rise 4-6 hours, covered. Place on cookie sheet or in a bread pan and bake uncovered at 400F for 40 minutes

got a batch in the oven right now, post irish red. They smell great and the little piece I gave my dog at the halfway point went over really well.

My dog loves these treats. I've done several variations of the recipe (more of this, less of that, add some bacon grease, etc.) and no matter what, she favors them over store-bought treats.

Please remember: Hops are extreamly dangerous for dogs to ingest, it may cause Malignant Hyperthermia. (I only know this cause the recent kit I got warned me.)

Please remember: Hops are extreamly dangerous for dogs to ingest, it may cause Malignant Hyperthermia. (I only know this cause the recent kit I got warned me.)
Will dogs eat hops if given the choice? I just realized that I have some hops drying in a spot that my dog could get to if she wanted, no way to be 100% sure that she didnt eat a cone or two already. Or is this warning more concerned with making sure there aren't any hops mixed in with the spent grain used to make these cookies?

Will dogs eat hops if given the choice? I just realized that I have some hops drying in a spot that my dog could get to if she wanted, no way to be 100% sure that she didnt eat a cone or two already. Or is this warning more concerned with making sure there aren't any hops mixed in with the spent grain used to make these cookies?

Im not sure the details. I almost worded the warning exactly.

Hops aren't good for dogs to eat, PERIOD. It doesn't matter if its a whole cone or its mixed in with the cookies. They are bad news for your best friend.

I've been promoting this for years on other boards. All doggys seem to love them...

Alterations that seem successful:
Pizza Sauce to replace the PB.
2 eggs vs the one
Basted with Iams sauce/real gravy
Use real gravy vs the PB
Carob Chips
V8 replaced the PB (dry longer)

I make these and give them out at xmas and sometimes carry a sack with me to the local farmers market. Feed the pups as we shop.

As for the hops and dogs, yeah becareful. Per my vet only a handful of dog breeds are extremely susceptable. They won't eat hops off the bine but any hops mixed in your wort/trub/mulch pile etc... can be a serious threat. They tend to be more attracted to the sweet wort. Anyhow as a fellow brewer, I hope he is right.

None of my dogs have any interest in spilled wort... they all would rather lay down in the brewing area and sleep. :mug:

Has anyone used spent grain to simply make a whole batch of dog food? Just wondering if there would be a preferable grain bill and a few other things to add to it. I just made a batch of these using the OP's recipe, but there was still plenty more grain to be dumped (don't really have room or need to compost anything at my current place).

Quick question... my neighbours have dogs, and I'd love to make these for them, both sets have had a few concerns about the fibre in the grains having the usual -- and I'll say for politeness' sake -- "all-bran" effect. Have these cookies help your pets move the mail way too quickly?

Quick question... my neighbours have dogs, and I'd love to make these for them, both sets have had a few concerns about the fibre in the grains having the usual -- and I'll say for politeness' sake -- "all-bran" effect. Have these cookies help your pets move the mail way too quickly?

I wouldn't say "too quickly" but they sure are healthy :) If this is a concern just make sure you limit them to so many per day. I've never had my pup get montazuma's revenge and they kept her pretty regular.

Back