green-yellow head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monty3777

Reaction score
I have noticed that all my wheat beers have had a greenish yellow head to them. Taste has been good on all but the first. Any ideas why the head is not white?

Not using any of that wacky chartreuse malt, are ya? :) I've not seen green head on any non-green beer.

Does the head look the same outdoors in (brief) sunlight? Can you take a pic and post it?

Not using any of that wacky chartreuse malt, are ya? :) I've not seen green head on any non-green beer.

Does the head look the same outdoors in (brief) sunlight? Can you take a pic and post it?

I just drank the last of it. I'll see if my next batch has the same problem and take a pic.

the closest ive ever seen to a greenish head is hop sludge in the foam in my hydrometer sample. I have seen everything from slightly yellow to almost black.

Some of my really hoppy beers (and some super hoppy beers I have had at breweries) have a slightly greenish tinge to the head...but that shouldn't be the case with a hefe unless you are hopping the heck out of it.

I wonder - I don't usually drain the hops from the boil after the wort is chilled. I just dump the whole mess into the fermenter - sludge and all - and rely on the stuff to settle to the bottom of the fermenter. I also don't use a secondary. Do you think that could impact the color of the head?

Back