Oxygenation Stone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschatz

Reaction score
I recently bought the .05 micron diffusion stone from AHS. Hooked up the tank and let her rip.... Nothing special so I search, boil the stone for 20 minutes and give it a shot. What I get is about a baseball sized patch of tiny bubbles which finally accumulate on top of the wort after about a minute and a half. Is this the intended effect? One person writes about his carboy filling up with foam! That would take me about 3 hours I think with the rate I'm going at! Just wanting to know how other people are going with this. :mug:

I guess BobbyM answers my question. Now what do I do to fix it?

watch

It appears that in the video that's a standard aquarium airstone, which is a whole lot different than a 0.5 micron stone. I've been using oxygen with a 0.5 micron stone for a long time and I've never gotten much more than a tiny amount of foam on the surface. After all, foam is just gas that DIDN'T get dissolved into solution, and the 0.5 micron stone produces very fine bubbles which dissolve easily, so I'd say it's doing its job if it doesn't produce much foam.

I have been using the larger 2 micron stone and I do get some foam if I really open the oxygen valve all the way up. I usually just dial it back until the gas is barely coming through the stone so I get finer bubbles that just sort of coat the top of the wort rather than building up and filling the headspace. If anything happens to my current stone I would replace it with the .5 micron stone--I do have a very short lag time, but my oxygen bottles seem to go empty pretty quickly so I'm sure I'm wasting a lot of oxygen.

I like to have the O2 just barely break the surface of the wort for the reasons that Funkenjaeger has said. That way I am hoping most of the O2 is getting into the wort.

It doesn't sound normal that you can't get a lot of foam with a .5 micron stone. I have used one for the past 2 years and I can get foam coming out the top of a 6.5 gallon carboy in approx 5 min. I have more of a problem keeping the foam down. Yes, it is a .5 micro stainless stone.

Back