maltodextrins and cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nerro

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever tried to add maltodextrins to cider? It might make for a cider with head and more body. My main qualm with cider is that it's always a bit watery compared to beer. Perhaps this way such problems may be solved... Any ideas?

I've also thought of the following. You can make dextrin from wheat flower (or better yet, starch). Just pop it in the oven at 120C (250F) for ~3 hours and hey presto! Dextrin! Perhaps to make it more suitable for this application it may be worthwile to leave it in the oven for longer. Maybe 4 or five hours and to extract the soluble dextrins with water which can then be boiled down to yield a cleaner product.

I've made dextrin from starch for wheat paste to use with graffiti posters (its sticky as all hell!!) but when you do it you have to move the starch around alot on the pan in the oven, or else you can get bad spots.

what exactly does maltodextrin do for homebrewing? (listens intently)

Maltodextrine will give a cider body, but head is mainly protein foam. You could just buy some MD and try adding various amounts to pints. It will degas a sparkling cider, though.

I usually boil my applejuice with some sugar to raise the SG to the desired level. If I were to add my dextrin during boiling it would dissolve just fine without degassing anything. The only problem I can see though is that the increase in viscosity might give problems with clarification and fermentation. The yeast will be limited in it's movement.

Another option would be to dissolve the dextrin in applejuice and to use this solution as the priming agent. That way the original fermentation would proceed normally, only the secondary fermentation might take a while.

Does anyone have any idea how much new applejuice would be required for priming?

Back