Post-Fermentation Temperatures?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hal simmons

Reaction score
I know it's important to keep beer at the recommended temps (65-68) as possible during fermentation. I understand this is most critical during the most active fermentation during the first few days.

But...how much do temperatures matter AFTER fermentation is mostly complete. I do my best to keep the beer within the recommended range during fermentation, but I generally let the beer sit in the carboy for 3-4 weeks before bottling, which is well past when fermentation finishes up. During this bulk aging time, it's too much work to regulate the temperature, so I just let it go. Now that the weather is warming up, my last batch was sitting at around 72-74 for the last week or so in the carboy.

How much to temps matter after fermentation is done?

Post-fermentation temperatures are much less critical (within reason) then the fermentation temps. Beer will condition faster at warmer temps but will age faster as well. The latter is only important for 1) styles that should be drunk quickly (eg hefes) and 2) for those that don't drink their beer up quickly once it is done which is a minority. If you were doing lagers it is similar but I would try to condition and store them cooler then 72F.

GT

Back