Trub loss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canfield30

Reaction score
New to all grain. Just did my second batch a surly abrasive clone yesterday. Everything went great. Hit my mash temp spot on, hit my pre boil gravity and post boil gravity. However my trub loss was much more than anticipated. I use whilfloc so could irish moss work better?

It is difficult to not get trub in when using whirfloc it makes a ton of break material in the kettle. That being said i have put 100% of the kettle contents into the fermenter many times and i have noticed absolutely no ill affects. The whirlfloc will then continue to seperate the trub in the fermenter and you will end up with pretty clear beer.

Are you using a hop bag or hop spider? I used to lose a ton of wort to trub loss until I started using a strainer bag for my hops, and it had made a world of difference (along with Irish moss). Hardly any trub loss at all, other than maybe 1/8 of an inch on the bottom of the kettle, and clearer beer.

As has mentioned before, it won't hurt anything to put all the trub straight into the fermenter, but you may still lose beer to the trub.

It will take you a couple batches to dial in an approximate number as every batch will be a little different. The one thing to keep in mind it heavily hopped beers with lots of additions will generate a LOT more loss. You can use a hop bag to minimize or you can adjust your pre-boil volumes to account for the losses.

Dump it all into the fermenter. As the ferment slows the hops settle out followed by the yeast. Leave it in the fermenter a bit longer than you think it needs and the yeast will compact some more and you can rack the beer off for bottling or kegging. The is no excuse for leaving potential beer behind.

Back