Leak in Igloo Mashtun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budvar

Reaction score
I attempted to convert a 10 gallon igloo cooler to to a MashTun, but I seem to be leaking about one gallon every ten minutes. It seems if I attempt to add additional washers on either side the threading becomes too short.

Do you have an O-ring in contact with the cooler or is the washer contacting the cooler wall?

O-ring is the first thing to check, may also be able to add some caulking or other rubber sealant to help out.

I had the same issue but put the gasket that came with the cooler back in the hole and added a couple washer and it was resolved

Definitely use the old gasket, if it is flanged, put the flange on the inside.

Whoa, thanks for the fast responses! I tried the old gasket, but it caused the threading to come up too short; that's been my main problem I think. fitting the two washers and o-rings in order to make a good seal. I just got back from the store with some sealant, so I'm going to try that.

You should be able to find the food grade stuff at Lowe's/Depot, I am sure that's where I found it.

Back