Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a friend (a self proclaimed hophead) help me brew a batch of American Amber Ale a little while ago, that i calculated in the mid-40s IBUs (a bit on the high side for an AAA). When I told him the style we were brewing, he said that he's "never had an amber ale that he liked" and that he prefers something hoppier, like a Corona. I just smiled and said "Don't worry, I'm putting lots of hops in this batch."

Corona? Wtf?

technically, it IS incorrect.

it's like writing a book called BEEF OF THE WORLD: over 350 classic beef, burgers, steaks and sirloins

or like telling me, "meet my wife and my sister" and there's only one woman with you

Well, having grown up in the South, I won't comment on that last line... Daddybrother teached me some manners.

I've just started brewing in the last month so I've been reading everything I can get my hands on and asking anyone I know if they know anything about homebrewing or have any friends that homebrew.

...Anyway, I get to a guy I work with today and he starts telling me that he and a few friends tried brewing a few years back, but something had happened to their batch because they kept getting a bunch of messy blowouts/bottlebombs. I wasn't really understanding exactly what he's was explaining as the problem because he kept saying they forgot to burp their beers. After several more questions he said that they didn't have enough, or maybe any beer bottles and so used 2 liter soda bottles...when we started talking about how they primed the beer for bottling he looked confused...after another few minutes of gentle questioning I finally realized where they had gone wrong...he was completely mystified by the idea of an airlock or blowoff tube...

Yep, you guessed it they were trying to primary in 2 liter soda bottles....I was pretty much left speechless and could only offer that maybe if he ever tried again his next batch might turn out better.

I can only imagine where they got their instructions for that batch...Wow!

ronsky said:
Well, having grown up in the South, I won't comment on that last line... Daddybrother teached me some manners.

My friend actually had an uncle-daddy and cousin-sister.

Corona? Wtf?

^^^ My thoughts exactly. What makes it even more amusing is that while we were brewing, we were drinking the six-pack of Phillips Hop Circle IPA that he brought over, but he used Corona Extra as an example of a hoppy beer. It's a stretch, but my only guess is that he mistook the dryness and higher carbonation of the Corona for hop bitterness.

I'm reading the Myron Bolitar series, and so far, I think every single book has something like, "Win drinks a Brooklyn Lager. Win only drinks lager, never beer."

Don't you mean Daddybrother learns you real good? :D

My family tree is more like a Kudzu vine... ;)

And Daddybrother teached me, I was the one alearning stuff... Likes how ta tells iffen the roadkill is fresh,which raydeeaters make the best stills, how to shoot at rev'ners(ya just kinda wing'em) , it's okay if cousins are naked but not nekkid, never name yer chicken iffen ya plans ta choke it...

(wait... That sounds wrong...)

:: drunk ::

I didn't come to this thread to read about the proper or improper use of the word "Beer" in a book title. I'm about 2 minutes away from I subscribing from one of the most fun threads on HBT. ::sigh:: some people just can't stay on topic.

"I don't like DARK beer"

I hear it ALL THE DAMN TIME! I just give them some IIPA and say, "here, this one isn't dark" LOL!!!

I will go read more of the thread now. :D

Ryush806 said:
Here in Arkansas we wouldn't even bat an eye...

Of course most don't even know what a porter is either.

I believe a porter is the guy who carries your bags up to your room. God knows why anyone would want to drink him.

It was named after porters, I read somewhere...

Funny funny... Have you had bud light lime? I LOVE that stuff!

A good (non-brewing) friend of mine was talking about some steam beer I gave him.

"It's boiled down - like all the water is turned into steam - so there's tons of sugar left to ferment!" At least he liked the beer...I'm afraid if I told him it was California Common, he might think it was made with little bits of California.

...then, a couple days later, one of my co-workers, talking about the same beer, "it's really good. And totally homemade. He malts his own hops!"

Guys, talking about people who don't know as much about beer as you do isn't funny. Let's get back to funny things we've overheard about beer!

BorealBrewer said:
A good (non-brewing) friend of mine was talking about some steam beer I gave him.

"It's boiled down - like all the water is turned into steam - so there's tons of sugar left to ferment!" At least he liked the beer...I'm afraid if I told him it was California Common, he might think it was made with little bits of California.

...then, a couple days later, one of my co-workers, talking about the same beer, "it's really good. And totally homemade. He malts his own hops!"

Mad props getting things back on track

My brother told a guy that came into his shop that I brew my own beer. The guy then preceded to ask my brother if I "made hot beer or cold beer?"

The only thing I can think he MIGHT have been referring to was lagering, but I highly doubt that. If I was around to hear that I probably would have turned around walked away.

bleme said:
Maybe he was thinking about the German's who prefer their beer warm? Definitely a funny comment though!

I thought that was the British. The Germans make their beer cold.

I know I've seen similar threads on here but I couldn't find any so I figured I'd start a new one.
11.jpg

drchris83 said:
That's a funny thing I read about beer today right there.

Maybe you should do some research before you go correcting people? The British serve at cellar temps - not as cold as the U.S., but not warm. In some parts of Germany, mostly Franconia, they use an immersion heater (bierwarmer) that heats the beer to body temperature to avoid disturbing the digestive system.

Some people would argue if you told them the sky was blue....

Maybe you should do some research before you go correcting people? The British serve at cellar temps - not as cold as the U.S., but not warm. In some parts of Germany, mostly Franconia, they use an immersion heater (bierwarmer) that heats the beer to body temperature to avoid disturbing the digestive system.

Pretty localized tradition. Most of Germany does cellar or cold temps.

Aside: NOT funny beer talk.

bleme said:

During my many, many trips to Germany (by that I mean driving over the border, it's a 45 minute trip, as well as numerous more extensive travels) over the last ten years have I ever seen a Bierwärmer. I will, however, admit that I have heard of such a contraption often -always as an oddity. So in the spirit of this thread, it's still a funny thing I read about beer.

During my many, many trips to Germany (by that I mean driving over the border, it's a 45 minute trip, as well as numerous more extensive travels) over the last ten years have I ever seen a Bierwärmer. I will, however, admit that I have heard of such a contraption often -always as an oddity. So in the spirit of this thread, it's still a funny thing I read about beer.

And the other. Get over it. It's become pitiful

the sky is not blue. and my armor is not pink, it's light red.

"Imported beer, like Anchor Steam, is always better than any American beer."

One afternoon I overheard my daughter and a friend looking in the refrigerator for something to drink.

"There's no lemonade," her friend said in disappointment. "There's beer. Do your parents drink beer?" she asked, aghast.

My daughter answered in a bored tone "Yeah. Sometimes my mom makes beer."

I didn't hear her friend's response. Perhaps she was just rendered speechless by horror.

"I don't like DARK beer"

At a party recently, several of us were discussing favorite beers. Flying Dog's Raging ***** was mentioned, and someone who hadn't been part of the conversation interjected "Is that regular beer or dark beer?"

It turns out she only likes dark beer, not "regular beer."

Back