Bottling/tasting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdbrett

Reaction score
Newbie...bottles my first beer, octoberfest ale extract kit. Tasted decent at the completion of the fermentation process. I bottles 2 weeks ago tomorrow, been sitting in dark room. Went to BH store yestrdy and he said I should try one. So, I put one in the fridge to cool it off and tried it. Was disappointed. It tasted less like it sid before and more like a medicine taste, similar to a natural wheat beer i had a few weeks ago. I was able to finish it, but tasted nothing like the octoberfest i was wanting. Thoughts? Am I hosed. How much better could it get with time?

wait two more weeks before you put another one in the fridge.

your beer needs time to properly condition and age.

everybody keeps saying "try one each week so you learn what it tastes like".

to me that just wasted beer, and disappointed me, and had me worried about my beer (just like you).

when i started to just WAIT the full four weeks for bottle conditioning, and let the process work, then i started to open much nicer beers.

Also when you are done conditioning/aging your beer and put them in the fridge you will need to leave them in the fridge for at least 3 days before drinking.

You can't just chill one and drink it and expect it to taste good, home brew just doesn't work like that, it needs time in the cold for the co2 to be absorbed into the liquid.

Cheers :mug:

So if i leave my beer in the fermenter for 3 weeks then bottle i should store it warm for 48hrs and then what?

So if i leave my beer in the fermenter for 3 weeks then bottle i should store it warm for 48hrs and then what?

from where did you get that?
3 weeks fermentor, 3 weeks bottle, few days fridge, then drink :mug:

I almost never bottle condition for 3 weeks. Or primary ferment 3 weeks either. I let the hydrometer tell me when the fermentation is done, and as far as conditioning that depends on the beer. As I understand it the general rule is 1 week, but that all depends on how many yeast cells are alive and if you primed it properly. Also depends on what kind of beer you're brewing. I know at my LHBS they have a Dubbel that's 5 weeks of bottle conditioning. If your beer doesn't taste the way you hoped it does after a week, then let it sit a few more days. You have 2 cases of the stuff. I believe (though I don't know) the 3 weeks and 3 weeks is just a safety thing. But with my experience with plastic fermenters I'm not so willing to just leave my beer in primary that long for fear of staining. Maybe my fear is unfounded but it happened to me once (though I'll admit my cleaning skills weren't as good then as they are now)

But with my experience with plastic fermenters I'm not so willing to just leave my beer in primary that long for fear of staining. Maybe my fear is unfounded but it happened to me once (though I'll admit my cleaning skills weren't as good then as they are now)

You should try it again. I've left beer in the plastic bucket fermenter for 9 weeks with good results (maybe not better than 4 but I was busy).

Thanks for all the input folks.....there is hope! Patience is tough in this hobby.

Is it common for the beer to taste better before bottling than it does 10 days after bottling? Just curious.

Is it common for the beer to taste better before bottling than it does 10 days after bottling? Just curious.

No.

That could just be green beer that isn't fully carbed, but it makes me consider things like oxidation or an infection process. It may not taste super great 10 days after bottling, but it should be better (not worse) than out of the fermenter.

Latest posts

Back