What have you found in your bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the75

Reaction score
I brought home a few bottles from a little get together & after dumping them into a bucket of oxy, I smelled something nasty but couldn't figure out what it was. As my bottle brush cleaned the inside of one, I pulled it out & flung numerous pieces of stinky burnt leftover cigar all over my face, my clothes & the kitchen. Needless to say, I wasn't pleased.
Has this ever happened to anyone else or am I just the lucky one?

Wow eewwww. I usually look in there first. But hey its glass, it will clean up fine. ;)

I've found big, slick moldy, snot looking things. Pretty nasty. Thats what I get for not washing them out properly.

I brought home a bunch of bottles from a party also, only to find that someone had used several of them as a Spittoon. I just threw them away.

I brought home a bunch of bottles from a party also, only to find that someone had used several of them as a Spittoon. I just threw them away.

Yeah, I've had a similar situation.

A guy in my building had a bunch of 1 litre pop-tops that he saved for me. He told me that he had washed them out as best he could. The one that I threw out had a big ol' nasty chunk of dip stuck to the bottom. Peppermint Skoal by the smell eminating from it.

I found my bottle have beer in them very tasty beer. I did find a few bottle I forgot to rinse and they had some kind of mold in them. I soaked them in Oxy and they were fine.

Yeah, I've had a similar situation.

A guy in my building had a bunch of 1 litre pop-tops that he saved for me. He told me that he had washed them out as best he could. The one that I threw out had a big ol' nasty chunk of dip stuck to the bottom. Peppermint Skoal by the smell eminating from it.

This makes me feel better. I'd rather deal with a cigar than dip spit. I will now do two things:
1. Always look inside before cleaning.
2. Tell whoever I share my beer with that they can have more if they return my bottles clean. (since I have friends that dip & smoke)

bugs and what looks like bug eggs. i had friends who claimed they washed them out bring them to me. they had dead flies in them and little sacks that looked like bags of eggs. i gave them to the dumpster!!!

Back