What is growing in my secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merlin306

Reaction score
I'm new to brewing, and this here is new to me....

And, sorry if the pics don't post....

Two white clumps on top of my secondary vessel. They look like two colonies of something, and hopefully not something bad. Preceded by the current state, the surface had some light bubbling like the very start of fermentation.

and here's your noob question..... is this bad? or is this normal?

041.jpg

039.jpg

hard to tell. mostly just looks like yeast rafts. i wouldn't worry about it, fermentation is ugly.

It looks ok to me too. Watch it over the next couple days. I've come to learn that usually if a batch gets infected, it will grow rapidly and overtake the entire carboy. The best thing to do is just wait it out one way or another.

But I would agree with rycov and say it looks normal.

also if you get an infection its likely to smell and taste awful. do a search in the search tab on "is my beer infected" everyone gets nervous but its usually nothing. the ones that do end up being infected are pretty nasty looking. and the brewer usually says something about how awful it smells/tastes (words like vomit and satan's anus).

Taste it. If it tastes off then maybe somethings up but I will 3rd the yeast rafts. Ferments ARE ugly things...if people knew what beer looked like previous to being in their glass, many probably wouldn't drink it.

Don't ever worry until you taste...Once alcohol is produced, the number of colonies of bacteria, spoliage organisms or mold goes down to a very small list. Of that list almost none that you would come into contact with are harmful...

Yes, I racked out of primary into secondary.

Yes, that is a dry hop bag in there (first time doing this, what a PITA - the hops will be floating free next time).

I have not smelled or tasted it as of yet. I figure I'll let it run its course in the secondary before I open it again. It's a DIPA with 10% ABV when racked, so hopefully any true nasties would be warded off.

As always, thanks for the reassurnace.

+ 1 million "Taste it". Ive tasted some foul looking brews and lived to tell about it....but ive tasted good looking fish and almost died.

Latest posts

Back