Label Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BNVince

Reaction score
What size do you use for labels? In terms of inches?

I read somewhere that 4 by 4.25 is pretty standard.

I just got some 4 by 3.33 inch Avery Shipping labels and the size is pretty good. I tad big, but it looks good. My only concern is how well they will come back off. I think if I soak them they should come off easily.

jdoiv said:
I just got some 4 by 3.33 inch Avery Shipping labels and the size is pretty good. I tad big, but it looks good. My only concern is how well they will come back off. I think if I soak them they should come off easily.

I use those.... they can be a ***** to get off the bottle at first as the adhesive hold up way too well under water. My trick is to soak everything in five gallons of water with about 2oz bleach for 24 to 48 hours, then use a paint scraper (or razor blade) to just zip them right off. Beats the old method involving several minutes of concerted effort with a scrubber.

coyotlgw said:
I use those.... they can be a ***** to get off the bottle at first as the adhesive hold up way too well under water. My trick is to soak everything in five gallons of water with about 2oz bleach for 24 to 48 hours, then use a paint scraper (or razor blade) to just zip them right off. Beats the old method involving several minutes of concerted effort with a scrubber.

Yeah, I figure I'll soak them in some oxyclean. I don't usually label things when I bottle, but plan on giving some away as gifts. If I get the bottles back, I'll try the soak method.

I've been doing mine at 3.5 x 3 inches.

I print them with a laser printer on regular white paper, then use milk to stick them to the bottles. It holds super tight, but a soak in soapy water takes them right off. I did Avery labels one time and ended up trashing all those bottles because i couldnt get the labels off.

You can also buy paper that has a lower tack adhesive, they come off real easily

RedSun said:
You can also buy paper that has a lower tack adhesive, they come off real easily
I was just planning on using some regular printer paper and pasting the labels on with water soluble glue, like with a glue stick. I figure I might even be able to enlist the wife to help out:D

For those using the Avery 4x3.33 labels, use their 6464 stock. Same label with a removable adheasive. They just peel off....use em on all my brews/wines. I used to use 5164, but they wre a PITA to get off.

-Todd:mug:

ma2brew said:
I was just planning on using some regular printer paper and pasting the labels on with water soluble glue, like with a glue stick.

This is what I do. It takes a bit longer to cut the labels and glue the backs of them, but removing the labels is as simple as soaking them in hot water for 10 seconds and then using a sponge to wipe the glue off.

I have a surplus of Avery labels.

I just stick them to my shirt before I put them on the bottle - weakens the tack considerably (maybe a couple times) but easier than the glue stick method (IMHO).

Jonathan

Back