DIY aeration wand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/WILLIAMS-OXYGEN-AERATION-SYSTEM-P699C106.aspx

I already have the aquarium pump kit, with the 2 micron air stone. I'm also planning on buying the $60 bernzomatic brazing kit featured here:

link

So, really all I need to have this same setup plus a light brazing outfit is a stainless steel wand right? Could I use a stainless steel racking cane for this... what size would I need?

Also, would a 2 micron stone work, or do I need a .5 micron stone with pure o2?

Add the price of all that up and you have one heck of an expensive solution to a trivial problem.

I use a length of 1/4" ID / 3/8" OD vinyl hose from my O2 flow meter connected to an acrylic racking cane (crook sawed off) using a two inch piece of 3/8" ID hose. The other end of the racking cane has another two inch piece of the 3/8" ID hose, connecting to a another few inches of the 1/4" ID vinyl, which is in turn connected to a .5 micron SS sintered stone. Cost was around $4 - most of which was for the sacrificed racking cane ($2.95)...

Cheers!

Or you can get the complete kit from Williams (your first link BTW) for $55, unless you're really set on brazing something.

Yeah I want to braze (stick together, dunno if this is technically brazing or not) copper pipes, and the reason I wanted SS was for sanitation reasons.

That o2 flow meter, I take it you have a full sized oxygen tank setup?

I keep debating wether or not to buy a full oxy/acetelyne rig, but I think I'll save my money for a larger MIG welder...

[...]That o2 flow meter, I take it you have a full sized oxygen tank setup?[...]

Just a five pound tank, with a really cool medical grade flow meter...
ab_jul_15_2011_08_sm.jpg

Cheers!

Email Bernzomatic. They quoted me 11.95 for a replacement oxygen regulator. Use the stone you have, buy the 12 buck regulator, get a tank from any mega super home outlet over marketed store. Your set for less than 20 bucks!

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/WILLIAMS-OXYGEN-AERATION-SYSTEM-P699C106.aspx

I already have the aquarium pump kit, with the 2 micron air stone. I'm also planning on buying the $60 bernzomatic brazing kit featured here:

link

So, really all I need to have this same setup plus a light brazing outfit is a stainless steel wand right? Could I use a stainless steel racking cane for this... what size would I need?

Also, would a 2 micron stone work, or do I need a .5 micron stone with pure o2?

i bought that brazing kit and that's what it's good for, brazing. you'll have a hell of a time getting the hose off and on if you are planning to use it for brazing and brewing. that dinky "regulator" kind of works but it can be a hassle, it's either on or off, there is no regulating. for a bit more than $100 you can get a O2 tank and regulator at harbor freight and be done with it for a couple of yrs, or however long it takes you to get through 20 cubic ft of O2.

Isn't that a lot more expensive than my way? :confused:

that brazing kit is $60 the tank is $84 and you might get it for less if you use a coupon. using those throw away tanks at $7 a pop adds up eventually and never stops if you keep using them.

Email Bernzomatic. They quoted me 11.95 for a replacement oxygen regulator. Use the stone you have, buy the 12 buck regulator, get a tank from any mega super home outlet over marketed store. Your set for less than 20 bucks!

Anyway you could provide a link to the regulator so I know what to ask for when I email them?

Back