Kölsch Bee Cave Brewery Kölsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I throw a hand full of rice hulls into every batch for sparging reasons. I'm also brewing this beer for the second time this morning.

I throw a hand full of rice hulls into every batch for sparging reasons. I'm also brewing this beer for the second time this morning.

I have had stuck sparges with my SS Braid in the past (I think my LHBS crush is too fine) but I have learned to just raised my grain bed temp right before I collect my first running's and then sparge as normal. This was my concern with the target mash temp of 151 and using wheat. When I have higher mash temp recipe's around 156 it doesn't seem to be a problem. Happy Brew Day :tank:

hey guys, could I substitute malted wheat from this recipe with flaked wheat?

So its been fermenting for about 48 hours, I went to check on it and immediately installed a blow off Tube. With 5.75 gallons in the primary and a 1L yeast starter it was just too much for my carboy. Hehe, First time I ever needed one.

DSCN3556.jpg

DSCN3559.jpg

I had planned to brew this this yesterday but my SSR on my HERMS took a dump. New SSR should be here Wednesday so I think I will brew this on Thursday after I get home form work. I had already crushed the grains yesterday before realizing that the SSR wasn't working. I have steelhead fishing trip planned for this weekend so I want to use the grains before they sit to long.

Picked up a vial of WLP029 on Saturday. Tomorrow I'll start making the starters for 15 gallons as well as enough to save 3 bottles for later batches.

I recently drank a bottle of this that had been tucked away in my fridge for about 7 months since the brew date (long after it was all gone from the keg). All i can say is WOW. I wish i would have let it bulk age for that long. It was crystal clear and incredibly smooth and clean tasting. Not that it was bad before, but cold aging really pushed this to another level.

I have LCRA water and it works fine for me. If I had really hard water I would go half RO water from the Glacier Dispenser at HEB and half well water. Give that a try.

I've made my Kolsch with rain water before and it came out great, but a different beer all together. The soft water affects the hop utilization, so it was not as herb (bitter) as my normal Kolsch.
I use spring water; will this change my hop utilization?

Just did a kolsch modeled after this but cutting down the wheat a little and adding some vienna. Best thing to cold crashing I can do is keg it and throw it in my keezer. I can't fit a carboy in the keezer with the 4 kegs I'm serving from but I can fit a 5th keg.

I didn't have time to go through all the posts so I apologize if this question has already been addressed.... but anyway is there an extract version on this thread? If so what page? Once again I'm sorry if this has been asked already

Well, After 12 Days in the fermenter at 65F I am at 1.010. I'm starting my cold crash now, the sample taste great. Very Pilsner like, I think this may be the one the wife will drink :)

Well, After 12 Days in the fermenter at 65F I am at 1.010. I'm starting my cold crash now, the sample taste great. Very Pilsner like, I think this may be the one the wife will drink :)

Sounds like you nailed it. Congrats!

Thanks Ed, looks like it. Have you bottled this before? I'm undecided on weather I should keg or bottle.

I've always kegged and force carbed. I bottled one batch with beer gun for a neighbor and he savored them for a year.

Well, looks like my English Mild just kicked so I now have a free keg to put this in. I really wasn't looking forward to bottling this and now I dont have to. I will probably bottle a few from the keg just to throw in the fridge and let age a bit. Have you entered this into the HBT comp before?

Yeah, I have entered, but based on the Kolsch style, it's not fruity enough. That's fine by me, as I like they way it turns out like a Pils without having to lager it.

Well based on my hydro sample yesterday, I think it will be outstanding. Too bad it doesn't fit the Kolsch style.

This was my third all grain; the first two were BCB HPA and Orfy's Boddington clone.

I brewed it on 3/13 (OG: 1.049) and, after two weeks in primary at 65 degrees, it looks like we've reached a FG of 1.007.

It looks and tastes great.

I'm going to leave it at 65 degrees for another day or two, and then cold crash it (I have something else in the fridge cold crashing right now).

BTW, the BCB HPA is kegged and carbed and I'm letting it age at room temp. for another week or so.

Thanks for all the easy-to-follow recipes, Ed.

With your Bee Cave Brewery Oktoberfest Ale on my to-brew short list, it looks like I'm turning into the Cedar Park annex of the BCB.

-peabody304

Sounds like a great recipe! I know its been addressed before, but have the bottlers in the group tried fermenting for 10 d then crash cooling to 39 in the primary for 4 d then bottling? Would I have problems with carbonation? Thanks!

Sounds like a great recipe! I know its been addressed before, but have the bottlers in the group tried fermenting for 10 d then crash cooling to 39 in the primary for 4 d then bottling? Would I have problems with carbonation? Thanks!

With a 4 day crash cool, there should still be plenty of yeast available to bottle still. It will probably take an extra week to carb properly though.

Hey Ed,

Just wanted to say this beer turned out awesome! I'll post pics later but what a great refreshing beer. I'm thinking I need to make another batch just to bottle.

Heres how mine turned out. Its actually clearer than it looks in the picture, Its so damn, tasty, I'm making it again next Brew Day.

DSCN3574.jpg

I made this brew for the first time seven weeks ago and just tried the first bottle tonight and I am not getting very much hop aroma/flavor coming through at all. I know the recipe is sound but I am thinking the freshness of the hop pellets I used might be in question since I don't have a LHBS near me and can only get a few supplies from the local liqour store.

I have the beer on tap and was thinking about trying to dry hop this in order to improve the under-whelming taste. Any ideas if I should try dry-hopping with Tettnang or some other type of aroma hop? If this does not work then I might have to just try the recipe again later in the summer.

Will I have trouble fermenting this one at room temperature? 72 to 73'ish degrees F. I noticed that someone posted the yeast range to be 70 max and wanted to make sure that I am not going to be fighting a losing battle.

I don't have temperature control, but I really want to brew this beer.

Would you recommend using White Wheat or "Pale" wheat? I shop at NB, and those are the options. Leaning toward the "pale" version, but I want to make sure that I nail this one.

Back