First Recipe Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sockmerchant

Reaction score
Hi there

New to brewing. Done a couple of kits, neither of which are at drinking age yet. Will see how those go before trying my own thing to get an impression of what i can improve in the basics.

Anyhoo, doing an extract jobby next time. The plan is to have a go at a simple Belgian Pale Ale. This is what i have in mind, let me know if anyone has clever ideas without complicating it

3kg Light Malt Extract
0.5kg Belgian Candi Sugar

25 grams Styrian Goldings 60mins
25 grams Styrian Goldings 30mins
15 grams Styrian Goldings 5 mins

Safbrew S-33 yeast

Only thing I can recommend is stay away from S-33. I hate that yeast with a passion, and I am not the only one.

Its been suggested I might want to bump up the candi sugar. Thoughts? And if so, by how much?

Ok so I brewed this thing up yesterday. Used T-58 yeast instead as its been recommended fairly highly. I left home shortly after it made its way into the fermenter. Got home 4 hours later and the air lock was already going nuts.

Bumped up the sugar to 15% and subbed candi for cane (Been listening to some Jamil stuff recently)

OG was 1.056, a little higher than i expected but oh well :)

This morning took a tiny sample and things are looking good.

Back