10-tip multi jet burners. Has anyone found a source?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you find the 10 jet burner, PLEASE let me know (propane or NG)

I use the 23 jet NG for brewing and seafood boils (25 gal pot)

I fried some shrimp last Friday and tried using heavy aluminum foil to cover 5 of the jets on my 10 jet burner.

The gas manages to migrate back down where the jet screws into the body. Really stupid looking flames that squirt out wherever they can - sorry, doesn't work.

I found 10 tip burners from shoppers choice. There are called the mini size. Kind of misleading though. They are still really powerful.

(Totally not answering your question) Why not just use a hurricane or one of the smaller variants?

Edit: Didn't notice the og post date on this ......

It's all good info anyway, old or not. The shopper's choice price can't be beat but 6-8 weeks delivery time?

Bobby,

I just took a peek on Google and BBQ.com has them also (Multi-Jet Natural Gas Burner Mini : BBQ.com). They also quote a 6 to 8 week lead time. It doesn't look like a point of sale problem. It appears that the wholesaler or manufacturer is the cause of the long lead time. I also saw them on the Tejas Smokers Website (Cast Iron High Heat Jet Burner from Tejas Smokers. Tejas Jet Burners have Brass Jet Nozzles) and they do have them but at $94/burner it is a bit steep.

I have a restaurant supply near me that is run by a Vietnamese guy. He stocks all sorts of things, and I think (can't be sure, though) that he has such things in stock in his store. I would suggest that if you have such a place close to you, give it a try... sure beats waiting two months.

I believe that shoppers choice is a parent company to BBQ guys.

It is true that they say 6-8 weeks but each time I ordered something there I had it in hand within 2 weeks even if at the time they said they were out of stock. I don't know why they say 6-8, you think it would deter more sales??

Plus great customer service is key and when I exchanged my small burners for a mini, they were more than happy to help and did not agrue even though they knew I had already hooked up the burner and tested it.

Outdoor Gas Burners - Propane & Natural Gas Burners : ShoppersChoice.com

does anyone have expirience with the 10 tip as opposed to the regular ones? are they too heavy to be hard lined without support?

I would guess they can with the proper orifice size. I've been playing with these shopperschoice ones for a couple weeks now and have come to some interesting conclusions that somewhat contradict my original findings. First, their QC sucks absolute donkey dong. I've received 8 burners thus far, only 3 have worked. Luckily Rebecca at SC is absolutely awesome and has been totally accommodating throughout this process. A lot of the castings are porous and leak gas out of the cast iron ring which leads to low pressure orange flames. Luckily shopperschoice agreed to pre test the last batch and they claim they aren't leaky. I will need to test these but I cannot do so until I finish the pilot drilling and tapping. So at this point I have three good ones supposedly, one in the rig that does not leak.

That said, I have found you can run these at 11 WC even though they claim they are high pressure only. I originally tested using my 0-30 psi adjustable regulator from my Banjo burner but that thing only works with ONE burner at a time. It cannot support the flow rate needed when two burners are run simultaneously so I had to switch back to the 11 WC 0.4 psi Pecimex one Morebeer sells (the same one Lonnie specs in his BYO article). That regulator does produce a low powered but blue flame when multiple burners are running. However, I found that an acetylene regulator will push way more gas and can be run up to 30 pounds which is way too high. I think around 5 pounds is about perfect with these burners and damn they do crank out some BTU's. I'm impressed.

So the burners shown here:

http://www.shopperschoice.com/item_name_Multi-Jet-Propane-Gas-Burner-Mini_path__item_2516985.html

1bd5193272ad207a3f1c1e2c67791416.jpg

need an additional orifice that is not listed? Or are you saying that if I want to convert the Propane burner as is, I will need to drill out the existing orifice to best utilize low pressure LP?

Seriously, this orifice nonsense has been the most confusing part of my rig design... I am going to do a full "for dumbies" write-up when I do my project.

That's the exact burner I've been dealing with. At 5 psi propane, she kicksass (as long as she doesn't leak first).

For LP, you will have to experiment. I am not aware of any additional orifice you can get and frankly, you do not want to remove ANY of the stock ones as these castings are very fragile and they do not hold threads worth a damn. On one of the 8 I have so far, I had orange flame coming out the base of a jet nozzle. Turns out the nozzle was barely attached and so I took it to my welder buddy and he brazed it in as we figured a helicoil wouldn't work. Turns out the local heating from the brazing made the two other nozzle right next to that one we tried to repair leak.

So if you are willing to experiment by drilling out the current nozzles, then I would support that idea. With propane, it seems as though these will work at 0.4 psi but perhaps not as well as they do at 5 psi. It's worth a try at 29 bucks a piece. Your only other option should you want this exact style 10 tip jet burner, is to buy the tejas smokers non propane variant but at 95 bucks a piece, that's a big harder pill to swallow IMO.

I think I am going to go with two 23-tip burners for HLT and BK, then one 10-tip burner for the MLT in my system.

I will be hooking this up to Low pressure LP at my house but would like to be able to travel with it. Any links for a good regulator that will handle both the HLT and the BK burner firing simult off a high pressure tank?

How about this:

http://www.shopperschoice.com/item_...d-Low-Pressure-Regulator_path__item_6585.html

this one is rated to 180,000 BTU which should be enough I think...

or this:

http://www.shopperschoice.com/item_...ow-Pressure-Regulator_path__item_2110416.html

I like the stainless... I can't help myself.

Hi folks,

I just found this forum by looking through our stats to see where I traffic is coming from. I am a novice homebrewer myself, so when I saw traffic coming from homebrewtalk.com, I had to check it out. What a cool find! I know this post is a little older, but we are still seeing people come to our site based on this, so I wanted to reach out and help answer any questions I can.

First, ShoppersChoice.com is the parent company of bbqguys.com and we run bbq.com through a partnership (the domain name is owned by the guys who started Zappos).

Second, the multi-jet burners in question are crazy strong, so be sure you want some serious heat before you buy one! We have plenty of other burners that may work better for smaller batches (I am still only doing 6 gallons at a time, so the multijet is too much burner for me).

Thirdly, the reason we have long ship times on those multijet burners is because we buy them in bulk, and then we test them all before we ship them out. If we have them in stock, it will show 24 hours, but if we don't, we give ourselves time to test the whole batch as we get them in. You will usually get your burner before that time frame is up, but we want to make sure we have time to get another batch in if we find a bad batch during testing.

DISCOUNT ALERT!!!!!!!! :ban:
Lastly, I just set up a discount code for anyone from this forum. Use the discount code 'HOMEBREWTALK' and you will get 5% off any gas burner you buy:

http://www.bbqguys.com/category_name_Outdoor-Gas-Burners_path_11428-2122.html

Please let me know what I can do to make our site easier for you guys to shop, and I hope to learn much from your community!

Thanks, :mug:
Corey

DISCOUNT ALERT!!!!!!!! :ban:
Lastly, I just set up a discount code for anyone from this forum. Use the discount code 'HOMEBREWTALK' and you will get 5% off any gas burner you buy:

http://www.bbqguys.com/category_name_Outdoor-Gas-Burners_path_11428-2122.html

Please let me know what I can do to make our site easier for you guys to shop, and I hope to learn much from your community!

Thanks, :mug:
Corey
Corey, thanks for posting up here. With your experience using different burners, something you could do for me and I'm sure others, would be some type of summary as to what burners you think might be best for our uses depending whether it is high pressure propane, low pressure propane or natural gas. Additionally, would you feel different burners should be used for the differnt brewing kettles (MLT, HLT and boil) due to their different heating requirements?

I'm personally building a rig using natural gas and 15 gal keggles for my HLT & MLT and a 20 gal boil kettle. Would a 23 tip (meduim) burner be too much for my boil kettle? Would I be better off using the 10 tip ones for all 3? Are there any other lower output natural gas burners available?

Woo! Sorry for the delay. I'm down in New Orleans, so I got a little side tracked with the Super Bowl and Mardi Gras (a several week event down here).

Anyway, here is a link to the first test video -- small multijet burner vs small 30 qt boiling pot. It looks like even the multijet gets too hot to sustain a 160 degree temp on this small of a pot when it is installed this close. Our next test will be to install it further away from the pot and see what we get.

Please hit me with any other requests or suggestions and I will see what we can work into our video schedule here at the shop.

Last edited by a moderator:
I built a Brutus system with a high pressure propane burner system, but would like to switch over to Natural gas. I would also like to switch over to the 10 tip burner. I have a couple of questions?

Would using these mini burners in a Natural Gas application be powerful enough? Also, what is the optimal height of the burners below the pots? Right now, I'm getting a lot of soot and believe it's because I'm too close to the pot.

You shouldn't get any soot with propane and the 10 tip burners at about 4" below your pots. I get some soot from the pilots if I overcrank them but no soot whatsoever from the burners at 4". May be different with NG.

I'm thinking of getting a 10 tip for my brew kettle and hooking it to natural gas. Is anyone getting the crazy, way too hot flame that many people report with the 23 tip? Do you guys like the performance (heat and flame control) with the 10 tip hooked to NG?

I purchased these burners (10 tip NG) from ShoppersChoice before seeing this thread. I have hooked one up so far (have 3) on my new stand. They have a ton of heat! They are 70,000 BTU. I have them mounted 5 1/4" below the bottom of the pot and the flame on full open is 7-8" above where the bottom of the pot would sit. I haven't tried it with the pot on it yet as I have a mod needed on the new stand. Here's a bad pic but a pic non the less.

Hmmm. Just gave it a test with the 10 gallon Blichmann pot.

Took 47 minutes to reach my average strike temp of 165*
Took a total of 66 minutes to reach 190*
Total of 76 minutes to hit 200*
and 92 minutes to reach boil.

I'm so discouraged. I could bring 15 gallons of water to a boil with my old ghetto system and it takes over an hour and a half to boil 8 gallons???

I noticed that the sound of the burner was about half of what it was when the pot was not on the stand. Double checked this after the test was over and sure enough, loud and kicking with no pot on. I also checked the regulator and screwed the adjustment screw all the in to close. No change and the flame kept right on burning.

What gives?

This about as radical as the boil got 15 minutes after reaching the boiling point.

This handle was so hot you couldn't leave your hand on it.

Wind guard all blued out now. Should it be further down completely covering the burner?

What gives? It's like it's too hot but not boiling the water as quickly and vigorously as the heat it produces would indicate.

Lonnie of Brutus 10 fame swears by them.......He mounts them about 2.0" under the kettle. It sounds like yours may be mounted too far from the kettle.

The tips of the burners are 2" below the bottom of the pot. These low pressure burners really work well for me at this distance... Actually, I took a vid last weekend of my wife brewing... I took some good footage of the burners working. I'll try and post it my friend!

I never checked. Check his website. Maybe they are posted on his website or shoot him a PM. You have a nice blue flame. I bet if you move the burner closer to the kettle your problem will be solved.

Yeah something is wrong. That's way too long to reach boil. From the pic, it looks like you are mounting the burners too low. Mine is 4" from the bottom of the pot (i.e. the top most horizontal plane of the frame) to the top of the ring, so the tips are even closer.

You may also have a gas leak but that's less likely. These castings are very porous, you may want to snoop everything with the gas on but without the flame lit.

Another possibility is the flashing/shields you have in place. I took mine out because they inhibited the flame a bit. Enough to be an issue.

Back