New to brewing would like to try orange cream

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wes321

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

So I am completely new to the soda brewing process and do not have any equipment. I was hoping someone could recommend a good supply list to brew soda without taking up lots of space and I have no idea what to get.

Also I was hoping to make orange cream soda since it is my favorite. It doesn't look like it has been talked about on this forum since I searched so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Wes

Soda making is a pretty basic process. If you plan on bottling it, you'll notice it tastes a little different because of the yeast. My suggestion is keg it, but it's more expensive. You can get one for as low as $80

Here's a great site that explains the most basic process and the equipment you'll need to get started. Obviously substitute the root beer extract for orange cream.

My suggestion is keg it, but it's more expensive.

First time soda maker here and I did keg it in a 3gal. keg (didn't use 1 Tbsp of the Base). My question is this: Can it be force carbed at the same pressure as beer? I've currently got it at 38º and was going to hit it with 30psi for 12/14 hours. I searched the forums but couldn't find any links to this particular question.

Thanks in advance.

I've never tried to force carbonate soda so I'm not quite sure. I don't see why you couldn't. You might have to leave it for more than 12 hours though to get a good carbonation seeing as how soda is a much higher carbonation rate than most beer. I usually put out 18-20 psi at 35 degrees for 4-5 days.

I've never tried to force carbonate soda so I'm not quite sure. I don't see why you couldn't. You might have to leave it for more than 12 hours though to get a good carbonation seeing as how soda is a much higher carbonation rate than most beer. I usually put out 18-20 psi at 35 degrees for 4-5 days.

+1. I've made a few batches of soda, and this is a good method to carbonate it. Remember too that it's a lot like beer: It will continue to condition and flavors will drop in and out, though on a more subtle basis.

Seems like the thread got hijacked. I would love to find a good Orange cream (or any good cream soda) recipes. I have not heard of a good one yet. Does anyone have one.

As far as equipment this is all I would get:
* Some type of sanitizer (iodophor, san star, bleach, etc)
* Some PET bottle (either buy them or reuse some) I recommend buying some and reusing them over and over.
* Yeast. Everyone has a favorite. I like Safale 04. It really does not matter to much which one. Just do not use bread yeast. I have used Champagne yeast I did not like it.
* A food grade bucket with spigot for bottling
* A large pot, metal spoon, etc for cooking the soda (probably already have theses in your kitchen
* I recommand picking up the book: Homemade Root Beer, Soda & Pop: by Stephen Cresswell

One time total cost around $10 - $30. Very little space used. No need to keg.

Kevin

This is by no means proven, but, if I were going to make my own concentrate/extract, here's what I'd do:

1. Get a bunch of fruit and zest. You're probably looking for a gallon's worth, so, it will likely get expensive.
2. Add water and bring to a bare simmer, and turn off for 2 hours, covering. This will let the fruit steep and extract a bit of the tasties while leaving behind the bad stuff. Add a few vanilla beans here. Remember with orange, you want the meat of the fruit, and none of the orange. You'll have to peel well.
3. Blend it and strain it to get the pulp out.
4. Add sugar until sweetened enough. You're likely looking at a 1:1 ratio, so with a gallon of concentrate, you'll need a lot of sugar. That's 16 cups. Lots of sugar. Boil until disolved.
5. Cool, add water and yeast and enjoy!

The issue here, however is that Orange doesn't behave like other fruit. The taste once cooked isn't the same as it is when you eat it raw. You may have to add some lemon and lime to get added citrus flavors. Plus, the cost may not be all that effective, since you're likely to need a lot of orange and waste a considerable amount of juice. You may find some very off flavors as well.

Try the method and see if it works for you. If it does, great! You'll just add your gallon to 4 gallons of warm water, yeast, stir, bottle and wait!

It seems a little expensive to me. If you have a LHBS go to it and pick up the items you need. That way you do not pay s/h.

Watch out for that extract. From what I understand if leaves a smell in your bucket, bottles, etc. I also like my soda "natural". Using an extract seems like cheating and not much fun. Soda is easy and fun. Whatever I have in the house I through in the pot and bottle (leftover fruit, juice, frozen fruit, etc)

I do not use a bottle filler or hose. It is easier to just use the spigot when bottling. It also causes less work because there are two less things to clean and sanitize. Less equipment means less chance of infection.

One item I would recommend if you are using fruit is to get two filters from your local restaurant supply store. One what is fine and one less fine. Get the big ones with a handle and a lip on the other side. That way you can put it on your bucket without someone helping you and you free up both hands. Filter first with the course. Then again with the fine.

People make soda making way to hard. It is almost as easy as making kool-aid.

Thanks
Kevin

Be careful with to much citrus. You yeast will take longer to carb up. Get the book it will explain all of it.

Just add fruit to pot. Add water to make about 2 qts. Simmer on very low. Add 1 vanilla bean or extract (I prefer extract its cheaper and soda is gone in about 2 days anyway in my house). Add 1 - cups sugar. Add the extract after it cools. Strain Add 1 - 2 qts water to taste. Add yeast. Stir. Bottle. Wait. Squeeze bottles after 24 hours. Then squeeze every few hours afterwards to make sure you do not create little PET bomb. Refrig. Drink

WARNING - do NOT leave a partially filled bottle capped outside of refrig (ie to drink later). Leave it uncapped or partially uncapped when outside of refrig. They are like the Gremlins. Neighbor did not listen to the masters warning and heard something sounding like a shotgun go off in the ktichen. Scared her to death. Cleaning up cherry soda off the walls, floors, kids, curtains, pets, etc is not fun. It is fun to laugh about later though!

Thanks
Kevin

This is by no means proven, but, if I were going to make my own concentrate/extract, here's what I'd do:

1. Get a bunch of fruit and zest. You're probably looking for a gallon's worth, so, it will likely get expensive.
2. Add water and bring to a bare simmer, and turn off for 2 hours, covering. This will let the fruit steep and extract a bit of the tasties while leaving behind the bad stuff. Add a few vanilla beans here. Remember with orange, you want the meat of the fruit, and none of the orange. You'll have to peel well.
3. Blend it and strain it to get the pulp out.
4. Add sugar until sweetened enough. You're likely looking at a 1:1 ratio, so with a gallon of concentrate, you'll need a lot of sugar. That's 16 cups. Lots of sugar. Boil until disolved.
5. Cool, add water and yeast and enjoy!

The issue here, however is that Orange doesn't behave like other fruit. The taste once cooked isn't the same as it is when you eat it raw. You may have to add some lemon and lime to get added citrus flavors. Plus, the cost may not be all that effective, since you're likely to need a lot of orange and waste a considerable amount of juice. You may find some very off flavors as well.

Try the method and see if it works for you. If it does, great! You'll just add your gallon to 4 gallons of warm water, yeast, stir, bottle and wait!

It seems a little expensive to me. If you have a LHBS go to it and pick up the items you need. That way you do not pay s/h.

Watch out for that extract. From what I understand if leaves a smell in your bucket, bottles, etc. I also like my soda "natural". Using an extract seems like cheating and not much fun. Soda is easy and fun. Whatever I have in the house I through in the pot and bottle (leftover fruit, juice, frozen fruit, etc)

I do not use a bottle filler or hose. It is easier to just use the spigot when bottling. It also causes less work because there are two less things to clean and sanitize. Less equipment means less chance of infection.

One item I would recommend if you are using fruit is to get two filters from your local restaurant supply store. One what is fine and one less fine. Get the big ones with a handle and a lip on the other side. That way you can put it on your bucket without someone helping you and you free up both hands. Filter first with the course. Then again with the fine.

People make soda making way to hard. It is almost as easy as making kool-aid.

Thanks
Kevin

The only extract that will leave flavors in your buckets is root beer. Most other sodas clean up easily. If you plan on making soda, make sure you have one set specifically for root beer.

As for extracts being concidered cheating.... well, I like to spend my time brewing beer, not soda. The only reason I ever make soda is usually for making mixed drinks when I have certain friends over that don't drink much beer. They like the lemon-lime soda and cola that I make so I usually keep those on tap.

Wow thanks guys for all the info. It seems like the total equipment on the site isn't even that bad of a price to begin with. I wouldn't know exactly what to get if I didn't buy a kit.

-Wes

from research pepsi is carbonated to 3.4 volumes of co2. At 38* that is 20.6psi.

Back