WLP 007 Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
Has anyone used this yeast befor? I know some of you have had trouble with it's counterpart Wlp 002 so I hope Im not in the same boat. Im brewing today and want to know if I should switch yeast. Cheers

That's an excellent yeast in an Altbier but I haven't tried it in a pale ale.
May want to use a blow off tube. It can get really turbulent.

I'm using WLP007 for my next couple of brews. It flocculates really well so it will leave you with a nice bright beer. It's clean fermenting if you keep it relatively cool.

I love it! It is my yeast of choice; I've probably used it on more ales than any other strain. After reading Ray Daniels' Designing Great Beers, I decided to use it on my Irish stout and, IMHO, it actually makes a better Irish stout then the typical 'Irish Stout' strains available.

Flocculates so well it's a real pain to make a starter!

I've never had a problem making a starter with it.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
This yeast is similar to WLP-002 in flavor profile, but is 10% more attenuative. This eliminates the residual sweetness, and makes the yeast well suited for high gravity ales. It also reaches terminal gravity quickly. 80% attenuation will be reached even with 10% ABV beers. Attenuation: 70-80%, Flocculation: high, Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-70¦ F

Above is the info on the yeast from the homebrew.com web site. I've used it a few times and it clears up really well and has a great profile for english bitters and strong bitters.

Back