Keezer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewnman

Reaction score
So i would like to build a keezer and I have a gift card to Home Depot. I figured i would start with the freezer purchase first. Here is a link to one i found and was wondering what your thoughts where. http://tinyurl.com/39yr29 . I would like for it to hold 5 or 6 corneys, have a draft tower with three spouts. Thanks in advance for any tips/help. It sucks the gift cards are to home depot because i prefer shopping at Lowes but i guess i cant complain because its free $ right? Here are the measurements/specs.

GE GE® 8.8 Cu. Ft. Manual Defrost Chest Freezer

* 8.8 cu. ft. Capacity
* Manual Defrost
* 2 Lift-Out and Sliding Bulk Storage Baskets
* Lock with Key
* MFG Brand Name : GE
* MFG Model # : FCM9DTWH
* MFG Part # : FCM9DTWH

# Adjustable Temperature Control : Yes
# Assembled Depth (In Inches) : 23.25 In.
# Assembled Height (In Inches) : 34.20
# Assembled Weight (In LBS) : 124
# Assembled Width (In Inches) : 41.00
# Depth : 23.25 In.
# Height : 34.20 In.
# Interior Light : Yes
# Locking Door : Yes
# Type : Chest
# Weight : 124 Lbs.
# Width : 41.00 In.

CU measurements don't say much about how many kegs a freezer will actually fit because the interior dimensions very quite a bit.

You should cut out some paper circles the diameter of the kegs and take them to the store to see how many will actually fit.

I would recommend NOT using a tower, but constructing a collar. Of course, it comes down to personal opinion. Search "keezer" and you'll get tons of results.

I have a 7.7cu/ft that fits 3 kegs nicely, 4 kegs are kinda tight. There will most likely be a hump in there that is going to mess things up, good spot for a 2.5 or 3 gallon keg though.

+1 on the suggestion of cutting out a circular carboard piece the size of a keg and testing it out.

Good call Chello on the paper circles! Simple/effective/cheap solution!!

Kilted Brewer: I might do the collar. I have done quite a bit of reading up on Keezers and i should of said nothing of the tower / spouts. I am not set on what i want to do at the moment, more on what i can fit and if its a good freezer.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I think you'll be fine with that freezer choice. In order to fit that many cornys though you'll most likely need the collar so you can get a couple on the compressor hump. I have a similar sized Frigidaire model and with the collar I can pretty easily fit 6 if I wanted. As for the towers, I went with one because I found it was less cluttered and allowed for maximum use of the space inside the freezer. But it will add more cost to your project, especially if you want those towers cooled.

So i went in to Home Depot on my way home from work yesterday and saw this http://tinyurl.com/2oqdrf (Magic Chef® 10 Cu. Ft. Chest Freezer). I didn't have a chance to make the paper cut outs but i did measure the inside excluding the hump. It was 28"x19". This one was cheaper and bigger. I will probably pick it up next week. I also noticed the weather stripping was on the lid which will make it much easier if i decide to go with a collar from what i have read. Any Magic Chef haters out there?

Kilted Brewer said:
I would recommend NOT using a tower, but constructing a collar. Of course, it comes down to personal opinion. Search "keezer" and you'll get tons of results.

I have a 7.7cu/ft that fits 3 kegs nicely, 4 kegs are kinda tight. There will most likely be a hump in there that is going to mess things up, good spot for a 2.5 or 3 gallon keg though.

+1 on the suggestion of cutting out a circular carboard piece the size of a keg and testing it out.

I've read where someone either made or was toying with the idea of not only building a collar but a top for their keezer. The idea was to make 1/3 or 1/4 of it not open but have a tower and stack glasses but the rest would open so access could be gained for changing kegs/etc... Food for thought! :)

The problem with a tower is that once your lid is openned....keezer is out of commission.

Trying to clean liquid lines, test pressures, etc, is a pain if you top is popped open and you can't get to the taps.

Going with a collar is cheaper and gives you more flexibility...more taps, and a handy place to drill holes for your gas line (Which I recommend you keep outside the freezer.)

Plus, if you have a tower, you're going to need a lot of clearance behind the unit to swing the top open. Plus, do you know what happens when you open a freezer top that has a full drip tray installed? :)

Freezer_WTaps.JPG

Freezer_WTaps_1.JPG

Freezer_WTaps_3.JPG

Freezer_WTaps_5.JPG

BierMuncher: Great points, i am sold :) and did you mean drip bucket or drip tray haha! Once i get this project rolling ill post some pics.

I told my fiancee in stead of renting a kegerator for our wedding why don't I just build one and she bit! All the extra parts needed are going to be paid for with wedding expenses and i will have a nice keezer for my new house!

brewnman said:
.....I told my fiancee in stead of renting a kegerator for our wedding why don't I just build one and she bit! All the extra parts needed are going to be paid for with wedding expenses and i will have a nice keezer for my new house!
YUS!!!! THAT WAS SLICK!!!! GRATS!!!! You are my hero! I might make that part of my signature I'm so impressed. GET Ventmatics!!!! I'm sure everyone here will say the same thing.

Back