Simcoe / Amarillo IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MriswitH

Reaction score
Just wanted to share a recipe with you guys that I kegged recently. A week on gas and its already tasty and drinkable (but obviously better with age!).

1lb Munich
1lb Crystal 40
4lb 2-Row
3lb Extra Light DME

.75oz Simcoe & Amarillo @ 60min
.50oz Simcoe & Amarillo @ 15min
.50oz Simcoe & Amarillo @ 5min

60 minute mash between 150-151, batch sparge @ 170.

Never used to be a hoppy beer kinda guy but as I started getting more and more into beer, malt went by the wayside and hops came to the forefront. :p That being said, it has a nice malty character with some tasty hoppiness. I was shooting for something close to the Stone Pale Ale with this recipe.

MriswitH said:

Are those numbers "each" or "total"? e.g. .5 Simcoe + .5 Amarillo vs .25+.25=.5 Total?

This looks tasty, and I have almost a lb of each of these. :D

chriso said:
Are those numbers "each" or "total"? e.g. .5 Simcoe + .5 Amarillo vs .25+.25=.5 Total?

This looks tasty, and I have almost a lb of each of these. :D

Good question! I meant .50oz of Simcoe, .50oz Amarillo, so an ounce total.

60min = 1.5oz
15min = 1oz
5min = 1oz

Thanks very much! All or part of this recipe might transubstantiate into an IPA that I need to crank out very soon. Using WLP's Cry Havoc yeast for this one, I'm excited!!!

Just wanted to share a recipe with you guys that I kegged recently. A week on gas and its already tasty and drinkable (but obviously better with age!).

1lb Munich
1lb Crystal 40
4lb 2-Row
3lb Extra Light DME

60 minute mash between 150-151, batch sparge @ 170.

Never used to be a hoppy beer kinda guy but as I started getting more and more into beer, malt went by the wayside and hops came to the forefront. :p That being said, it has a nice malty character with some tasty hoppiness. I was shooting for something close to the Stone Pale Ale with this recipe.

Hey,

Planning on this being my third batch of beer this weekend. I see this is a partial mash - this would be my first of those. Can you define what you mean by batch sparge?

Do you remember how this one turned out?

Thanks a ton.

I am in the middle of brewing a rye IPA and wanted to use these very same hops. I'm brewing with these hops additions but with the following exceptions.

1oz Columbus - 60m
.5oz Simco -60m
.5oz Amarillo- 60m

.5oz Simco -15m
.5oz Amarillo -15m

.5oz Simco -5m
.5oz Amarillo -5m

1oz Simco dry hop (7days in secondary)
1oz Amarillo dry hop (7days in secondary)

Useing US-04 ale yeast.

Will let you know how it turns out.

Back