Lagering Time for Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnK93

Reaction score
Hi All,
I brewed a honey kolsch five weeks ago, fermented at 61F for 14 days, racked to secondary, then brought down to 34F. It's been sitting here for the last three weeks. I was going to bottle after four weeks at 34, but I'm getting antsy because I want to use my freezer chest to ferment a american wheat this weekend.

Would it make any difference if I bottled after three weeks cold (five weeks total) rather than four? My guess, from reviewing kolsch recipes, is that five weeks seems to be enough.

Thanks,
John

That's probably enough. I usually only lager my Kolsch for 2 weeks, it is after all just a low temp tolerant ale yeast.

After bottling you could throw a bunch into your fridge to sit for a while, and see if the flavor changes at all.

FWIW, I lager for about two weeks before bottling and carbing (assuming I'm bottling). After carbing I cold condition in the bottle for 3-4 weeks before starting to drink them.

Back