Scavenging bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ducas

Reaction score
I've seen on here that sierra Nevada bottles are great for scavenging, but I'm wondering what other bottles can be used? I can't use twist off bottles, correct? Obviously those are the easiest to gather, but I'll be making a few calls this week and just want to see what we can get.

Thanks for any help!

Ducas

Let's see- Sam Adams are great, Dogfish Head (and those labels come off easily!), Bell's, New Belgium (but they have decorations on them), Lagunitas, and just about any other non-twist-off.

You can use twisties but I would not and don't.
Plenty of threads on lovers and haters regarding this.

Any brown long neck bottle should do the trick.
I got most of mine when I first started from a restaurant.
Hit up your favorite townie bar...many of them won't be reluctant to sell you a case of empties for the deposit.
You can also hit up your local redemption place...bring a six of your best and you might even get them for nothing.

You might be a bit skeeved about using bottles from folks you don't know and don't be suprise if you find cig butts, etc....don't worry, a nice hot bath in soap and water with a bottle brush and then a dunk in sanitizer will do the trick...glass is really very sanitary and won't harbor too much that will kill you!

:)

I use Lakefront and New Glarus bottles a lot but I doubt those get to WV. Sierra Nevada bottles are my favorites with regular caps. Try to get Grolsch swingtop bottles. They are by far my favorite bottles.

I love Sierra Nevada bottles, but use anything that is not twistoff. New Glarus has the best labels; they just float off. I usually soak bottles in oxyclean for an hour, and then I pull labels off or use a 3M pad.

Sierra bottles are a little tough to get the labels off of and they are an abnormal height if I remember correctly, which makes for a tougher bottling day and awkward storage situation with fatter bottles.

I use Deschutes bottles, Pyramid, typical longnecks. I do bottles some with Redhook bottles because I really like them, but I wait until I have enough that I can do the whole batch in them.

To get them I go to the local public recycling center dressed in leather boots and gloves, and act like I'm taking stuff to dump. When they aren't looking I throw the bins in the dumpster and jump in after them. A little scandalous maybe, but fun.

Michigan is a deposit state, so I get mine from LHBS for the cost of deposit. Interestingly, I've never seen a cigarette butt and most appear to have been rinsed...must say something about those who drink craft beer...

Although I love the beer, Sweetwater labels are impossible to get off w/o some serious scrapping.

I love to use the 22oz Samuel Smith bottles, very thick dark glass.

Back