SWMBO moving in and so it begins

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haha i know man sorry. i've been reading stuff here for a while and i've learned a ton. i'll post beer stuff too. i'm a total hophead.

anyway i saw this thread and it pissed me off so i finally made an account. i nearly got kicked out of my school a few years ago for making a joke post on there forums about shooting cops and somebody thought it was "threatening". i hate feeling like i have to watch what i say every second because some liberal is going to get there feelings hurt.
No, you nearly got kicked out of school because you failed first-year English; it's "Their Feelings", not "There Feelings".

No, you nearly got kicked out of school because you failed first-year English; it's "Their Feelings", not "There Feelings".

12696.jpg

Well, if we're going there, shouldn't we address

your (possessive) and you're ??? (contraction of 'you are')

Much more common misuse on these forums than anything else -
jus' sayin'

Quoting Strunk & White in your signature on a beer forum? You must be a ton of fun at parties. ;)

Back to the original off-topic tangent (rather than this new off-topic tangent)...

All these arguments trying to dissect what is and isn't offensive and who should and shouldn't be offended by what and what-not are, to my mind, completely missing the point. The real question is, what kind of place do you want this to be?

The tone around here can quickly turn into that of a bunch of aging frat-boys, fifteen pounds past their prime, sitting around and shouting out the cup-size of women who walk by. It is easy enough for people to mistake us as that already, so why give them a reason to believe it?

Of course nobody is going to read these posts, sit down, and draw up a plan to go engage in recreational domestic abuse, but off-color jokes draw a line through the community separating those on the inside from those on the outside. I know several female brewers, but none of them go to the clubs and conferences because, in the words of one, "who wants to pay to go see a bunch of guys belch at each other and talk about their schlongs."

Let's not be caricatures of ourselves, eh? :mug:

Quoting Strunk & White in your signature on a beer forum? You must be a ton of fun at parties. ;)...

<SNIP>

...but none of them go to the clubs and conferences because, in the words of one, "who wants to pay to go see a bunch of guys belch at each other and talk about their schlongs."

Let's not be caricatures of ourselves, eh? :mug:

True; we're better than that. And I *am* a ton of fun at parties -- just ask my mom; she thinks I'm cool.

Completely off-topic, but related to the "who wants to pay to go see a bunch of guys belch at each other and talk about their schlongs."-quote:

Many years ago, in college, someone in the Student Activity Council had the bright Idea to bring in Morton Downey, Jr. (remember him?) as a speaker. As controversial as he was, the student newspaper asked a number of 'students-in-the-street' for their opinions, and I was one of them. My reply was "Why would I want to pay to go listen to some a**hole when I can listen to my own farts for free?"

Anyways, it was funny then. And it just goes to show how cool I am and how much fun I can be at parties.

Totally.

Back