Lets make cheese!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rafaelcoronado

Reaction score
I really want to start making cheese, any suggestions on a relatively easy recipe to start with. I think I'll pick up a kit from my local home-brew store. I can get raw milk and my favorite cheese is probably blu and anything to do with goat :)
Thanks for any advice or tips

One of the easiest cheeses to make I think is mozzarella. There are some good instructions on here that how how to make it in about 30 minutes or so. You can even use the leftover whey to make some ricotta too.

You will need rennet and some sort of acid. I use Citric acid, because I have it, but I think others have successfully used white vinegar.

One other super important thing to know is that you can't use ULTRA pasteurized milk. And if you can get unpasteurized milk, so much the better.

I'm thinking of making another batch soon, and putting it on pizza or maybe deep frying. Just need a real good crispy batter recipe...

Homercidal said:
One of the easiest cheeses to make I think is mozzarella. There are some good instructions on here that how how to make it in about 30 minutes or so. You can even use the leftover whey to make some ricotta too.

You will need rennet and some sort of acid. I use Citric acid, because I have it, but I think others have successfully used white vinegar.

One other super important thing to know is that you can't use ULTRA pasteurized milk. And if you can get unpasteurized milk, so much the better.

I'm thinking of making another batch soon, and putting it on pizza or maybe deep frying. Just need a real good crispy batter recipe...

Thanks. I have a good beer batter recipe

1 large egg
(12-oz.) beer
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Some black pepper would prob be good in it.

I want to get into making cheese too. My milk just says pasteurized, nothing about being ultra-pasteurized does that mean it is ok. I'm not even sure where I could get unpasteurized milk.

I want to get into making cheese too. My milk just says pasteurized, nothing about being ultra-pasteurized does that mean it is ok. I'm not even sure where I could get unpasteurized milk.

If it's just pasteurized, it should be ok. Use a little calcium chloride if the milk has been homogenized.

I still can't get good curd formation with CaCl. Nothing for it now, time for a share in a goat herd or milk cow...

The first time I did it I did not have good luck, from the looks of things, but it ended up ok after a bit more time. We kneeded it too much and not enough salt.

The second batch we used more salt, which helped the flavor, and used a microwave to heat it up between kneedings. Came out great!

We used plain, pasteurized whole milk for both, but different brand, IIRC.

Back