what should I do with this awful smelling beer??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbug440

Reaction score
This was a blue moon clone that failed. My first crappy beer I've made out of six batches. Let me list the things that could have gone wrong. I had Wlp001 shipped to me and it was warm when I got it(maybe 2 days in the mail). The starter sucked,after 3 days not very many bubbles and the yeast didn't look like it multiplied. After my boil my wort chiller broke and it took me over 2 hours to get the temp down to 80 degrees which is when I pitched the yeast. Fermentation took forever, it was in primary for almost 2 months. I had an O.G. of 1.056, from the time I pitched till 7 weeks later the airlock bubbled once every 5 seconds. I finally just kegged it when the gravity reached 1.015. All through fermentation the beer smells like rubbing alcohol and that's how it stands today. I force carbed at 20 psi and let it sit for a week,then bumped the psi to 30 for 48 hours in the kegerator while it chilled. Now its at 6 psi and its carbed nicely, it doesn't taste bad but smells awful. When I Burp it smells like rubbing alcohol. Now for my questions leave it in the kegerator tapped for awhile or take it out and let it sit awhile at room temperature? Will this smell go away? How long will it take?should I just dump this foul beer?

When I've had my sulfur smell problem, CO2 fixed it. I don't know if yours will get fixed, but you could purge/refill the keg a couple of times just for giggles.

Sounds like fusels to me, which were most likely caused by pitching your yeast into ~80 degree wort. A 1.056 beer should be drinkable by 2 months. Unfortuantely fusels don't age out, so this one might be a dumper. Or if you don't need the keg, set it aside for a while and see what happens.

2 months in primary for a wit beer...its possible some of that aroma is from the dead yeast.

i would give it a little time in the cold though. since it tastes ok, that smell might fade with time.

My fermentation temps were between 68-70 mostly no higher than 72.
I do not need my keg so it can sit awhile. I just didn't know if it should stay cold or not. Thanks for the feedback guys!

Back