Which Bottled Water Brand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportscrazed2

Reaction score
Is there a best brand of bottled water for an English Pale Ale? When I think of England I am guessing that the water has a lot of built up minerals in it. Is there any specific brand of bottled water I should use for an English Pale Ale? I want this to be as perfect as possible.

I personally use RO water & salts to build my water. But if you're looking for mountain spring or the like to use as-is, then look around on the various company websites (or ask) for their water analysis information. I know arrowhead, for one, publishes theirs on their website. I'm sure other spring water companies likely follow suit.

I know that doesn't directly answer your question - but I don't have a direct answer. Still... knowing the exact water profile may be more useful in the end, and if it's not exactly what you want, you have a baseline upon which to judge which, if any, salt additions you might add.

I am doing a extract kit that comes with both liquid and dry malt extract. some people seem to think that the extract contains all the necessary minerals and any added minerals will only throw off the flavor. is this correct?

That doesn't seem likely. If they had all the necessary minerals and everything, what would happen if somebody DIDN'T use distilled or RO water? It would throw things off. I think that most companies give their kits only what is necessary and allow the brewer to make adjustments to their water. For instance, two kits that I have bought specified to throw in gypsum to my boil as part of the directions. Kit manufacturers have no idea what type of water you are using (high in calcium? low? sulfates present? not present?).

I went ahead and bought 7 gallons of spring water because it was on sale for 64 cents a gallon. it tastes pretty good so i figured it would make good beer

Back