Rhizomes this late?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3PegBrew

Reaction score
I've searched for the answer and all I found was a post from june. Unfortunately the answer ended in a site that was sold out. Am I too late to purchase rhizomes at this time of the year? Anybody know of any reliable sources?

Good luck finding them and even better luck planting this late in the year up here. Hit me up next spring I'm moving nine plants and should have rhizomes. Other than that you'll just have to wait.

Really no need to start indoors. Drop them in the ground next spring. Not a lot to be gained as they need the winter to store reserves and shouldn't be growing.

RDWHAHB and start in the spring. If I have cuttings I'll be posting up here, but by that time established PNW farms will be selling.

Thanks for the tips and the support.:ban: I'll keep an eye out for you around early March?

Hop rhizomes are root cuttings and they won't do much of anything until spring anyway, as they are dormant during the winter.

These folks are still selling plants:

http://www.highhops.net/buy.html

Check out this thread to see what they are selling:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/looking-cascade-hop-rhizomes-184269/index3.html

This could get you in action through the fall and winter if you grow them indoors. I grew some in buckets under grow lights that did quite well through the winter until I got too exuberant with water and Miracle Grow and drowned them. A better gardener than I could do well with these. You stand a chance of getting second year performance next year if you treat them well through the Winter. However, they seem to be $10 per plant, where my rhizomes were $4-5 this Spring.

Back