Do ya Mash all grains incl. crystals etc.?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Netflyer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This struck me as an 'oh no' as I read a specific recipe and it said mash the base grains and then add the specialty grains just before the sparge, is this standard and I just screwed up by adding all the grains to the mash? Or is that some recipe specific thing. I just figured you mash it all at 154ish at once. What is standard. If I screwed up and shouldn't have mashed it all for the 60 min 154 part will the beer suffer too much...

Sorry, paranoid first two batches of AG guy here...

Right HB99 but more the question is it ok to mash the steep(ers)... I was just worried that perhaps I shouldn't be mashing the crystal and other grains that I used to steep when I extract brewed. I guess it was just this one recipe I came across that said to add the crystal and chocolate malt after the mash and during the sparge. I was just wondering if that was the actual way to deal with the grains that I always steeped and not mashed. But it seems it was just that one recipe...

Not to hijack the thread, but I did something last night that is related. I did not realize until my grain was mashed for 60 min that I left out 1 lb of the 2 lbs of flaked rye. I just added it on top of the mash and mixed a little then sparged till I got a little more than 6 gal of wort. Will this have a significant impact? The OG came out 1.068-1069 while Beersmith called for 1.066. Thanks!

I really don't know coastwx.

It would depend on how well the extra rye converted in the time you sparged. You may get more starch haze in your final beer, if that makes any difference to your beers look.

Back