Homebrew not legal in Oklahoma, Alabama and Mississippi?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tulsa has a great Homebrew Supply House called "High Gravity Homebrew Supply". I've been to this shop several times and it looks like they are doing well even if it is illegal to brew your own in Oklahoma.

sounds more like an illegal activity that would probably never ever need to be enforced unless you started selling beer from your garage. kind of like the old "beer in a paper bag" gimmick in NYC with the "i didn't see it, so maybe it's not happening".

I live in MS and didn't know that everytime i brew i was breaking the law. I hope the man doest haul me off to the big house

sounds more like an illegal activity that would probably never ever need to be enforced unless you started selling beer from your garage. kind of like the old "beer in a paper bag" gimmick in NYC with the "i didn't see it, so maybe it's not happening".

Well, maybe. Scot Oberman got a visit from the Alabama ABC because of an article written about him that ran in the LA Times.

Support AHA. The hobby depends on it.

Tulsa has a great Homebrew Supply House called "High Gravity Homebrew Supply". I've been to this shop several times and it looks like they are doing well even if it is illegal to brew your own in Oklahoma.

A good point. My view: just do it. And it also might not be a good idea to make a lot of noise about it.

I'm not convinced that big growth and a higher profile (i.e., the AHA doing a lot of lobbying) will not have mixed benefits. I'm thinking of us getting big enough that the politicians, who are always looking for more revenue streams to supply their incurable spending disease, see yet another activity to license and/or tax.

And please spare me the arguments of how impractical it would be. The truth is that most of us are tied to specialized ingredients like malt and hops that come from limited sources, and are NOT going to grow our own barley or hops (well, I grow my own hops, but not enough to make that much beer) if the tax man cometh.

A good point. My view: just do it. And it also might not be a good idea to make a lot of noise about it.

I think High Gravity was brewing on the sidewalk in front of the store last month. And every other week they make either beer or wine in store during their workshops. Oklahoma has a bigger problem with hillbillies cooking meth in motels and old trailer houses.

Well, maybe. Scot Oberman got a visit from the Alabama ABC because of an article written about him that ran in the LA Times.

Support AHA. The hobby depends on it.

WOW, how sad for Alabamians. I just found this article about the incident:

http://www.fermentarium.com/content/view/189/56/
He is now facing the reality that he must give up the hobby he loves. Can you believe this is happening in America?

I think I decided to subscribe to Zymurgy just to become a member of AHA.

I think High Gravity was brewing on the sidewalk in front of the store last month. And every other week they make either beer or wine in store during their workshops. Oklahoma has a bigger problem with hillbillies cooking meth in motels and old trailer houses.

So far as I know, the legality of homebrewing has NEVER been enforced in Oklahoma. They don't have the manpower or the inclination to care. Nearly every lawmaker I've heard discuss the situation has pointed out that the words "or making beer" were left out of the bill as a clerical error and not out of any sense that making beer is bad. I think the biggest reason it's never been legalized is that the last time there was a big push to change the law, it was headed up by State Senator Gene Stipe who was indited around that same time on about a billion perjury and conspiracy charges. No one has wanted to touch it since.

http://www.kfor.com/news/local/kfor-special-reports-home-brew-beer-story,0,554702.story

3.2 is legal as it is not regulated by the Title 37 505 laws and the city/county/state health departments have no regulations for, or against homebrewing.

The ABLE commission blatantly stated that regulating homebrewers is not worth their time or efforts. Yes, teh law is antiquated.

Only in the bible belt does some schmuck feel compelled to connect Jesus to Alcohol. "Jesus drank wine, Not beer" Yeah. Go blow Jesus then.

It's not illegal to sell the makings, although I'd guess technically they are accomplices. There was a heck of a lot of Malt Tonic made and sold during Prohibition.

And please spare me the arguments of how impractical it would be. The truth is that most of us are tied to specialized ingredients like malt and hops that come from limited sources, and are NOT going to grow our own barley or hops (well, I grow my own hops, but not enough to make that much beer) if the tax man cometh.

I don't remember the brand but I was reading the ingredients on a commercial bread package and malted barley, yeast, and water were all listed.

Beer IS food.

It's not illegal to sell the makings, although I'd guess technically they are accomplices.

Not entirely. Wine and cider are legal by Title 37 505. And all the HB's in Okie land also cater to home vinters.

I do believe the raw goods offered for brewing are checked on by the health departments tho'.

Again. 3.2%ABV is, in fact, legal. the raw materials are the same for low point and high point. the ratios in which they get used are what "breaks the law".

I don't remember the brand but I was reading the ingredients on a commercial bread package and malted barley, yeast, and water were all listed.

Beer IS food.

Now, somebody just needs to figure out how to bake th hops into the bread and we got sumtin'.

Baking industry is a huge consumer of malted barley. If you look at ingredients you will find Maltodextrin, Malt, and Barley in some really surprising places.

The only good that would come out of shutting down Homebrew shops in these states would be that Tom Hargraves of kegkits.com would be out of business.

Back